Cɦɑpteɾ 41

♪ And I keep my side of the street clean
You wouldn't know what I mean ♪

Charles Leclerc POV

That podium felt like heaven as I watched Natalie down there, her face showing up on one of the screens for a few seconds before it focused on my son, who cheered happily. I got down, wrenched in champagne, and prepared for the team pictures as Carlos got 3rd place. I placed my trophy on the floor when I saw Lucas arriving.

"Mattia, can I?" I ask as I point to my kid, who is still holding his trophy.

"Sure! He is our future talent; maybe we will sign him in a few years," he jokes as he orders the team to wait.

"Come here," I say to Lucas as I place the trophy next to mine.

"Don't be shy, Nat!" Carlos says as he signals her to come over. He is on the left side, and we are on the right—a cute little family, if you ask me.

But I had never seen my kid look prouder. A few more photos were taken until I could continue my interviews, attend the meetings, and finally go to my room to change clothes.

"Can we talk?" Natalie's voice is heard as I finish putting on my pants and open the door, taking a quick glance at the table to make sure nothing was

"Come in," I say as I make space for her and continue getting dressed.

"This is what Lucas had for you. He asked me if I was fine with it," she gave me the book, a handmade one again, this time with a photo of me and Natalie on the cover. Where did he get that photo?

"What is this?" I ask as I open it.

He has sneakily taken pictures of us whenever we thought he wasn't looking. I got to the last one and I knew immediately when it happened. The first sunset we watched on the yacht, the one where I thought he was eating in the kitchen but he was behind us photographing us, both our eyes finding each other as the picture was taken. I looked for his phrase and I froze as I read it.

Natalie may have many meanings, but she is love—she loves and she is loved. You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget. So... maybe say it, dad.

"Did you see it all?" I ask as I extend it to her and she shakes her head.

"No, I knew he was asking because he apparently took pictures of us," she says confusedly, and I nod.

"Nat, this might not be as casual as we thought we would be. And I am sorry for that, but I can't keep ignoring that," I say honestly, and she seems relieved.

"Thank fucking god. I mean, I know Lucas makes it more complicated because this can get really bad really fast, but I don't think running from it won't be that much better," she spills out, and I nod as I smile.

"Nat, I like you a whole lot. And you don't need to say it back, but I needed to say it before I got cold feet again," I try to reassure her, but she chuckles as she wraps her arms around my neck.

"I like you too, Charlie," she says happily before I lean down and kiss her. If it weren't for my kid waiting for me downstairs, I think I would've made this woman mine again.

"Is Arthur with him?" I ask as I enter the bathroom, I made sure my hair was fine and put on perfume.

"He is; he was also video-calling Pascale. He wanted me to give you this, and he insisted, so here I am," she says as she flips through the pages, and I put my stuff in a backpack so I could take it back to the hotel.

"You've turned him into a completely different kid. I might never be able to thank you for that, but I really want you to stay in both our lives," I say sincerely, and she smiles sweetly as she puts the book down.

"You don't need to thank me, I didn't do this for appreciation. I did this because I genuinely love Lucas, I don't care for what people may think. I am not leaving Charles; deal with it. And if you truly like me, then believe me when I say I will stay," she stands up and comes closer as I close the backpack.

"I believe you, and I do like you. So, will you be my girlfriend, or do I need to take you on more dates?" I ask cheekily, and she laughs.

"More? When were the other ones? Was I even present?" She is curious and I chuckle.

"I mean, I took you out to eat just us. I watched the sunrise with you as Lucas slept. I've done a bit of everything during our vacation time," I am trying my luck, and she nods.

"Well, you aren't wrong on that. So I might accept the request. Would it be public?" She takes a step back and I nod.

"More public is almost impossible; there are pictures of us kissing on the track, but I could post you on my socials and get out of here with your hand in mine. I don't care for that. I want you, I will scream it out loud if necessary," I say as I kiss the top of her head, preparing to leave the room.

"Then, yes. I will be your girlfriend, and I allow you to be my boyfriend," she says, picking up her phone from the table. I follow her every move as she turns to follow me out of the room.

"That's good enough for me, mon amour," I say proudly. I finally did it. No more hiding, no more stressing about it.

"What's this?" She asks as I take my phone out of my pocket, and I follow her gaze to the envelope I threw in the trash can earlier in the day.

"Trash," I say nonchalantly.

"Suspicious trash," she says as she takes it out before opening it and taking out the pictures inside. Fuck my life.