Eda's Requiem

Eda looks over a checklist. It reads, "New coat for Luz", "Check itchy boy", "Pay water bill", "Clean Hooty (?)" and "Burn old dress".

"Luz needs a new coat. King needs to be checked for fleas. Am I missing anything?" Eda looks at her reflection. "Oh, you've changed, Owl Lady."

Eda takes a photo of her apprentice and friend at Grom and looks at it. "It's worth it."
"And three, and four, and five, and six, and seven, and eight, and nine, and ten!"
"And weh, and weh, and weh, and weh, and weh, and weh, and weh, and weh!"
"You can do this!"

Eda opens her window and smiles as she looks down and sees Y/n cheering Luz and King as they do pull-ups on her staff in midair.
"Alright, King. What's the first thing you're going to do when you meet your dad?"
"And ten thousand! Well, once we're done training, I'm gonna move out of that closet, that's for sure. Then, I'm going to ugly cry. Hard!"
"Have you told Eda about your decision to le—?"
"Shh!"

They hear a noise and looks up. Eda's window is closed. The witch herself is crouching under the window frame.
"I—I'm not ready yet. I'm not sure how she'll react."
"Don't worry, we'll be here for you."

"Everyone's leaving, huh? Even King. I guess I'm no substitute for the real thing."
Eda opens her trunk to place the photo in and spots a bell cittern with a raincloud and bolt carved into it. She puts the photo in her hair and picks the cittern up.
"Welp, nothing like a good distraction."

Eda starts playing a song and everything around her starts to float.
"Has my magic returned?" Eda stops playing, everything falls down.
"Oh, guess not. Stupid curse."
Eda puts the cittern back in the trunk and returns to her list. Behind her, a plant starts to turn black and corrode.

•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•

Luz and King are standing on the edge of a cliff, Eda's staff in Luz's hand. They fall and fly over the water, maneuvering past several rocks then flying upward until the sun obscures them. Back with Eda, she's dressed for the day and moved to the living room with her scroll showing the news.

"And we're back live at the emperor's castle! In light of Scooter Crane's retirement, today's ceremony will confirm Raine Whispers as the next head of the Bard Coven."
"Do I have to be on camera?"
"For Titan's sake, just say something."

Raine pulls down hood, faces the camera. "Uh, I am honored to work with Emperor Belos in preparation for the Day of Uni-bee. Uh, I mean, Uni-ly! I mean, uh—oh no, this is going all wrong. Get me outta here!"

Raine runs off flustered while the camera is turned off.
"How are you supposed to be Head Bard with stage fright?"
"Anyone can, I'm surprised Raine managed with his stage fright.

The door opens; Luz and King have returned but the former is holding a backpack at arm's length while the latter is holding his stomach.
"I'm sorry, Luz."
"It's okay, buddy. Hey Eda, got another backpack I can borrow? This one got a little thrown-up in."
"Closet."

Luz hurries off.
"So why are you suddenly so interested in flying? Did you give up on returning to the human realm? I mean, I suppose you can stay here a little longer."
"Oh, no. I'm still going home, but I keep running into some setbacks."

Flashback to Luz looking under a bed.

"Come on, little buddy. You got portal info that I need."
Luz pulls out a carrot, offering it to the echo mouse hiding underneath.
"You want a carrot? Does baby like carrots?"
The mouse runs onto her lap to eat the offering.
"Here we go. It's okay. See, you're safe here."