Chapter 2: Lantern Rite

A/n: "thinking"

"talking telepathically"

After the initial shock about the new information everyone has relatively calmed down. 

The next scene starts playing onscreen.

(This starts during that scene during the last Lantern Rite where the Traveler pretends to drown.)

Aether, Paimon and Ganyu arrive at Cloud Retainers Abode.

"I can't believe it... Cloud retainer is not here." Ganyu says in disbelief.

Paimon turns to face Ganyu "Huh? Did we miss her?" she asks.

"She doesn't like to travel, so in the past, it's always been the other Adepti who come to visit her during the festivals..." Ganyu explains.

They talk some more and then Paimon has an idea.

"Our goal here is to find the Adeptus that helped Dvorak's ancestor, right? If she's really as nice as the story suggests, she'd definitely come to help anyone who was drowning, right?"

"Yes, I think that's fair to say..." Ganyu agrees.

Aether now realizes what happened there and blushes, embarrassed. He hides his face in the palms of his hands and whispers to Paimon "Tell me when it's over." Paimon giggles but nods.

"Sooo, all we have to do is get Aether to pretend to fall into the water, and the adeptus will come to the rescue!"

"Great plan Paimon!" Klee cheers.

Xiao grins teasingly at Aether and Shenhe chuckles, her nephew looks at her, confused.

After some convincing by Paimon, Aether agrees.

Aether swims to the center of the lake.

"Help! Heeeelp! Someone is drowning!" Paimon yells "If only there was a kindhearted Adeptus here to save us... Oh no, whatever will a Paimon do?"

Someone quickly carries Aether ashore, so quickly that he can't catch who it is.

"What is going on?" Xiao asks with his arms crossed, Shenhe is standing next to him.

"How do you feel right now?" Shenhe asks.

Aether is too embarrassed to say anything.

Everyone bursts out laughing.

"Oh, how pathetic!"

"That was to be expected!"

"I remember that."

"Uh... Shenhe, and the conquerer of Demons..." Ganyu says, avoiding eye contact with the two.

Paimon explains.

Xiao turns to Ganyu "I did not expect such foolish actions from you, sister."

"I'm sorry Xiao..." Ganyu says, looking down sadly.

"Sorry for troubling you both." Aether apologizes.

Xiao sighs "I'm glad you're ok." he turns to leave.

"You're leaving already?" Aether asks, sounding a bit disappointed.

"As far as I know, the one you seek is no Yaksha. And one last thing... Your actions here caused others a great deal of worry. Do not repeat them again in the future." with that Xiao teleports away.