Chapter 9: Valea

In the midst of Liyue's majestic stone forests, where nature itself seems to stand guard over the ancient land, a training ground lies hidden, known only to a select few. Here, surrounded by towering rock formations that have withstood the test of time, a young girl named Valea dedicates herself to the mastery of martial arts. Her discipline and focus are palpable, a testament to her commitment to the role she has embraced—the Protector.

"Ah! A fierce warrior!" Itto eyes sparkle.

"Boss..."

Valea's attire is a harmonious blend of tradition and functionality, her outfit allowing for the fluidity of movement essential to her practice. Her hair, the color of dark emerald, is tied back tightly, not a strand out of place, mirroring her disciplined mindset. Her eyes, a deep, vigilant amber, betray no distraction. They are the eyes of someone who understands the weight of responsibility, who trains not for glory but for the ability to defend and protect.

"Pretty!" Qiqi and Yaoyao say in awe.

"Thank you." Valea winks at the two children who giggle in response.

The air is filled with the sound of her movements, a rhythmic cadence that resonates through the stone forest. Valea moves with a grace that belies her age, each stance and strike a perfect balance of strength and precision. She flows from one form to another, her actions a dance of defense, her every motion imbued with the intent to shield and safeguard.

Observers, should there be any, would see not just a girl practicing martial arts, but a young warrior honing her skills with a purpose. Valea's practice is not a display of aggression, but a demonstration of protective strategies and techniques designed to neutralize threats without unnecessary harm. Her understanding of the art is profound, reflecting a mindset that prioritizes the well-being of others over personal achievement.

As Valea pauses, her breath steady despite the exertion, she surveys her surroundings with a critical eye, evaluating imaginary scenarios in which she might need to employ her skills. This is not just practice; it is preparation. Valea knows that the world outside the stone forests is unpredictable, and she trains with the seriousness of someone who might one day be called upon to act.

Her resolve is tested as she sets up wooden dummies, simulating a scenario where she must defend against multiple attackers. With a deep breath, Valea launches into action, her movements a blur as she navigates the challenge with impressive efficiency. Each strike is measured, each block perfectly timed, showcasing her advanced skills and strategic mind.

As the sun begins to set, casting long shadows through the stone forest, Valea concludes her training with a solemn bow to the empty training ground, a sign of respect for the art and the ancient warriors who practiced it before her. She may walk off the training ground, but she never strays from the path of the Protector, her every step driven by an unwavering sense of duty to defend those who cannot defend themselves.

In Valea, the stone forests of Liyue have found not just a guardian of the land, but a protector of its people, a young girl whose dedication to the martial arts is matched only by her commitment to the safety and security of others.

As Valea concludes her rigorous solo practice, a figure emerges from the shadows cast by the late afternoon sun—a presence as silent as the breeze that whispers through the stone forests. This is Xiao, the vigilant Yaksha known for his fearsome prowess in battle, yet here, he carries a different mantle: that of a mentor, a brother. Today, he watches over Valea, his adopted sister, with a gaze that mixes pride with the sternness of a seasoned instructor.

Xiao approaches, his movements betraying none of the weariness that plagues his eternal vigil. He nods slightly at Valea's display of respect to the training ground, acknowledging her discipline and the reverence she holds for the martial path they both walk. His eyes, usually a storm of memories and duty, soften for a moment as he regards her, recognizing not just the warrior she's becoming but the family they are.

"Your control has improved," Xiao comments, his voice carrying the weight of centuries, yet imbued with an undercurrent of encouragement. He steps onto the training ground, his presence commanding yet devoid of arrogance. "But a true protector must be prepared for the unpredictable. Anticipate, Valea. The world will not always face you head-on."

With that, Xiao initiates a spar, a teaching moment born from centuries of combat and survival. The session is intense, a dance of attacks and defenses where Xiao pushes Valea to her limits and beyond. Every move he makes is a lesson, teaching her not just techniques but the mindset required to use them effectively. His attacks are precise, meant to challenge but not harm, guiding Valea to find the balance between aggression and protection.

Valea responds with vigor, her determination flaring as she meets Xiao's challenges. She adapts, learns, and grows stronger with each exchange, her resolve hardening like the rocks that surround them. This is more than training; it's a rite of passage, an affirmation of her role as a Protector under Xiao's watchful eye.

"Xiao, what was our agreement regarding your training sessions with your sister?" Zhongli inquires, his eyebrow arching in gentle reprimand.

"To refrain from doing so..." Xiao mutters, his gaze shifting away, unable to meet Zhongli's eyes.

"Father—" Valea starts, eager to offer her perspective, but Zhongli silences her with a soft, pacifying gesture.

As the training session draws to a close, Xiao steps back, allowing Valea a moment to catch her breath. His critique is direct yet constructive, aimed at refining her skills and honing her instincts. "You have the heart of a protector, Valea. Let that guide your actions, always."

Their training session ends not with a formal bow, but with a mutual nod of respect—a silent acknowledgment of the bond they share as siblings forged by choice rather than blood. Valea, inspired by Xiao's guidance, feels a renewed sense of purpose. And Xiao, despite the solitude his duty demands, finds solace in the knowledge that his legacy, his teachings, will live on through Valea.

In the secluded training ground amidst Liyue's stone forests, Valea and Xiao stand side by side, not just as mentor and student, but as a family united by a shared duty to protect. As the sun dips below the horizon, casting the world into twilight, they walk off the training ground together, ready to face whatever challenges the morrow may bring.