Prologue

It's the start of the 2024 Formula One season, and McLaren have a new driver on their team.

Spoiler alert... It's me!

Im getting ahead of myself though, so let's get back to basics for a second.

My name is Valentina Sofia DeLuca, Vee for short, and I'm 23 years old.

I was born in Kensington, London to Italian parents Angelo and Giana who both work in the financial sector.

I have a bit of a complicated relationship with them but that's a tale for another time.

I'm the youngest of two children, my older brother Giovanni works within Lando Norris' brand Quadrant and the two are great friends.

I think that covers the family tree. Now on to hobbies.

I've loved racing ever since I could remember. It first started with casual karting races with my brother as a child, but when I showed talent the junior karting team Coles Racing scouted me.

I won my first championship in 2020 with FKS before going on to secure my second championship win at TKM in 2021.

It was during this second championship win that I was noticed by Ferrari and enlisted as a junior in the Formula One 2022 Drivers Academy, where I placed 1st.

I have since gone on to be the first female driver to occupy the reserve driver slot for the McLaren Mercedes team in Formula One.

Go me I guess!

Karting wasn't my only passion though, I adore music, and I'm very talented in guitar, piano and singing, even if I do say so myself.

During my teenage years there was a time where I struggled to decide whether I should quit karting all together and focus on my music full time.

Ultimately I decided against it, and believed music was better suited a hobby as opposed to a career.

As if I thought racing was the less risky option, thank god it paid off!

I was diagnosed with ADHD and autism at age 19, and it provided me with answers as to why I felt I didn't fit in with any of my peers growing up.

I don't see myself as socially awkward per-say, however I do struggle understanding social cues and often speak my mind without thinking beforehand, unintentionally causing upset without realising so.

Unfortunately, I still struggle forming long lasting friendships to this day, only having a few close friends.

Which brings me to Claudia.

My best friend, Claudia Rochefort. She's 22, French, and did I mention a big deal in the modelling industry?

We met three years ago at a party and clicked instantly. Claudia, who was diagnosed with autism at a young age, faced many of the same struggles that I did growing up.

It's sort of hard to believe really, considering she's the life of the party wherever we go nowadays. She could talk to an apple about an orange, or at least that's how I think that saying goes.

I'm getting off track... No pun intended.

We bonded over our mutual struggles and have been inseparable ever since. Both sharing a love for music, and animals.

And my brother.... But less said about that the better.

I'm also close friends with McLaren Formula One driver Oscar Piastri, who I grew up with in the karting scene.

We're both introverted, but you wouldn't believe it when we're in the same room together. He's a surprisingly funny individual.

Oscar is like my second brother, he's been there for all my birthdays, sleepovers and heartbreaks.

He's even invited to girls night. He loves it, he won't admit, but he does.

I'm also pretty close with the Leclerc brothers, of whom I got to know very well whilst at the Ferrari drivers Academy. Charles especially, he just has this aura about him that is so fascinating.

Plus, we both love music, we spent many a day writing songs and playing our instruments in our spare time off track.

I don't see him as much anymore which does make me sad, but that's life. It makes the time we have together even more special.

He always jokes we'd be soulmates in another life.

Anyway, I know most of the drivers well, but I wouldn't consider them 'friends' per-say.

Take Lando.

I don't know Lando through my job, but rather through my brother, which is odd when I think about it.

He seems extremely outgoing and childish, but in an endearing way as opposed to annoying.

Is that an insult?

I've met him multiple times in passing however we have never exchanged more than pleasantries.

I'm sure that will change, now we're teammates and all.