Five

A short while later we arrive at a nearby supermarket and head inside; baskets in hand.

"So, your brother and your friend?" Lando turns and asks trying to stifle his smile.

I glance over and roll my eyes at him, "Don't, just don't."

"So you don't approve?" He chuckles, picking up a carton of milk.

"No. I don't approve. Claudia is a model, and Giovanni is.... Well.... Giovanni" I shrug.

"I think they look good together" Lando chuckles, scanning the shelves.

Did he seriously just say that?

"It was meant to be a girly weekend before I go to Australia and he has to stick his ore in." I groan, clearly annoyed at the situation.

"I get it." Lando places some groceries in his basket, "Does this kind of thing happen a lot with those two?" He asks curiously.

"Yep, and not just with my brother." I groan, "Everywhere we go she's bombarded with attention from men. It's just extremely annoying."

"You're really not a people person are you?" Lando smirks, looking over at me.

"No I'm not. But it's not even that, it's just...." I stop myself and sigh, "Never mind. It doesn't matter, it's stupid."

He turns to face me and offers a sympathetic smile. "I bet it isn't."

"Claudia is beautiful, she's a model for god sake. And wherever I go with her, it's like I don't exist." I huff. "Everyone just focuses their attention on her constantly, and I'm sat there like a forgotten potato in the bottom of a cupboard..." I glance up at Lando who is listening intently. "And I don't want to sound ungrateful or bitter or anything, but sometimes..."

He strokes my arm in reassurance, "Go on."

"Sometimes... I want to be the beautiful one." I mumble, looking at the floor and shuffling awkwardly.

"But you are beautiful." Lando blurts out. A second later it dawns on him what he previously said and I can see his expression change.

His eyes go wide and his cheeks turn a very bright shade of pink.

"Thanks Lando, but you don't have to pander to my insecurities." I chuckle awkwardly, not really knowing how to react.

He thinks I'm beautiful.

He looks at me and clears his throat, trying to compose himself. "I'm saying it because it's true. You are beautiful Valentina."

Our eyes lock together for a second too long, before I break our eye contact, "Well, thank you, but I recommend you see an optician, your vision is clearly not great!"

"Just shut up and accept the compliment" Lando laughs as we head towards the checkout.

"Fine, doesn't mean I have to believe it though." I mumble, placing my shopping on the counter.

We head back out and in the car, Lando placing the groceries in the boot.

"Where do you live?" I ask, reversing out of the parking bay.

"Monte Carlo?" He replies with a slight hint of confusion, scrolling through his phone.

I try to stifle my laughter, it's a good job he can drive, because he doesn't have much else going for him in terms of intellect. "No you idiot, I mean where are we going to drop off your shopping?!"

"Ohhh, not far, I'll direct you." Lando chuckles, slightly embarrassed.

He pauses for a second, and his expression changes like he's thinking of something really hard. "You seem to be coming out of your shell more."

"How do you mean?" I ask curiously, my brow furrowed.

"You're a lot nicer to me that you were the other day!" he chuckles, placing his arm on the back of my headrest.

I flash a cheeky grin at him as I turn down a side street, "I can stop! It's really not an issue!"

Lando smiles at me, "No. Don't. I like it!"

He pauses for a second again, that same pained expression of his face.

"What?" I ask, curiously.

"What?" Lando repeats.

"You have that expression on your face like you're thinking very hard." I chuckle, trying to mimic his features.

He looks at me visibly confused. "What expression?"

I raise my eyebrows slightly, trying not to laugh. "It's sort of looks like you're constipated!"

"Well, thanks!" He exclaims, also trying to stifle his laughter.

"You going to tell me what you were thinking so hard about?" I ask, glancing over at him.

He pauses for a second and exhales slightly. "How come you weren't at testing?"

"Oh." I respond bluntly. "I h-had a thing."

"Must of been a pretty important thing." Lando mutters quietly, not wanting to pry further.

"Something like that." I mumble, recollecting in my mind the events that have happened in the previous months.

I won't tell him I don't think. I mean I don't talk about it full stop. We all just sort of pretended it didn't happen. But I can see the looks Claudia and Giovanni give me when they think I'm not looking. Like they're concerned, or worried.

But I'm fine. Totally and utterly fine.

Lando snaps me out of my thoughts, "Just here is perfect."

"Huh that's weird, you're staying here?" I mutter, turning off the engine.

"Yes? Why?" Lando asks, removing his arm to unbuckle his seatbelt.

I gesture across the street, "See that house with the red door?"

"...yes?" He chuckles, confused as to where the conversation is going.

"It's mine!" I grin, as I get out of the car and open the boot.

"You're kidding!" Lando exclaims, his mouth agape in shock.

"Nope, I know where I'm going if I need a cup of sugar!" I chuckle, before grabbing my groceries, and heading off towards my house.

"Where are you going?" Lando asks, making his way towards me.

"Home? Got some time to kill before my best friend finishes her date with my brother." I scoff, before stopping in my tracks and turning around.

"You could always chill at mine for a bit, if you'd like?" He asks hopefully, rubbing the back of his neck with his palm.

"I've got my shopping to put away!" I smile weakly, pointing to my shopping bags.

I mean it wasn't technically a lie, but I just want to be on my own for a while.

"Yeah, no worries." Lando replies, slightly disappointed, "see you at the airport next week?"

"Yep." I pause for a second, "Lando?"

"Yeah?" He turns and asks.

"I know you probably hear this all the time, but for what it's worth. I think you're beautiful too. In an obnoxious sort of way." I chuckle, before quickly turning and heading off, not wanting to see his reaction.

"Thanks.... I think!" he shouts back.