Nine

It's officially the start of the first race weekend, and I head into the paddock filled with nerves and anticipation.

I know the likelihood I will be racing is slim to none however I'm still nervous all the same.

I scan my pass and head in the McLaren garage and into the boardroom for the pre-brief, McLaren are hoping for a strong season and hopefully maiden wins for both of their drivers.

I'm a little early so I take a seat at one of the many empty chairs and scroll on my phone for a while until I feel someone tap my shoulder.

"Hey." Lando greets sheepishly, "can I sit with you?"

"Yeah, sure." I smile, placing my phone into my pocket and gesturing to the seat beside me.

"About last night, I'm sorry I don't know what came over me." He mumbles, bouncing his legs under the table.

"It's fine. I think we both had too much to drink!" I reassure him, but I can tell he's still on edge.

I want to tell Lando how I feel about him but I can't. Relationships with co-workers just doesn't work. Trust me I'm talking from experience.

Hopefully we'll have both gotten over our school kid crushes for each other in a few weeks and we can just go back to being work colleagues.

"It doesn't make what I said any less true though. I hope I haven't ruined our friendship." Lando mutters, snapping me out of my thoughts.

Oh, so we're friends? That's news.

"Who said we were friends?" I tease, winking playfully at him. "And there's no need to apologise, I'm sorry it wasn't the answer you were hoping for." I smile weakly, placing my hand on his knee to help calm him.

"Yeah..." Lando mutters, decreasing the motion of his legs somewhat. "Sorry, left my stress ball in the car."

I put my hands in the pocket of my trousers and pull out the one he gave me back in Woking, handing it to him.

"You still have it?" He asks surprised, taking it from me and rolling it between his fingers.

"Of course, why wouldn't I?" I smile, giving his leg a reassuring tap and moving my hand away.

We sit there for the next few minutes in awkward silence, neither not really knowing how to continue the conversation.

The rest of the team start to file in, including Oscar who takes the other empty seat beside me.

He looks over and gives me a rather confused look when he sees mine and Lando's somber expressions. But he doesn't pry.

That's why I love him.

The meeting comes and goes and I head back into the main part of the garage as the boys get ready for free practice. I slip on a pair of headphones and take a seat next to one of the computers, studying the strategy.

The boys arrive a short while later, and I make my way over to them, "good luck out there you two. Don't do anything I wouldn't." I smile

"Sounds like bad advice but thanks Vee!" Oscar chuckles, patting me on the shoulder and making his way to the car.

"Here. Figured you could have it back." Lando smiles weakly, passing me my stress ball.

"Thank you. Now go out there and kick Verstappen's arse." I tease, pulling him in for a hug.

Why did I do that? I'm only making things harder on myself, and him. But I can't help myself.

"I'll try!" Lando chuckles, embracing the hug, before eventually pulling away and disappearing out of sight.

I watch the FP1 and FP2 from the garage, praying my teammates do well, and it seems to work.

The papaya boys end the day in a good position ahead of tomorrrow. I'm so proud of them.

Lando
FP1 - 3rd
FP2 - 2nd

Oscar
FP1 - 5th
FP2 - 3rd

They head back into the garage and I run over to congratulate them both pulling them in to a group hug, much to Oscar's disbelief. "You two were amazing out there today!" I grin, still holding on to my teammates.

"Thanks Vee! Didn't know we were doing hugs now!" Oscar chuckles, pulling away from me finally.

"Yeah, well I changed my mind." I giggle, ruffling the Aussies hair.

"She's hugged me before! Like twice!" Lando exclaims, coming to the realisation that they're not normally my cup of tea.

Oscar looks at me and smirks, "That's because you're special Norris!"

I shoot my teammate a scathing look before trying to change the subject, "Sweetie you know I love you, but I have to be honest with you right now. You stink. Go get a shower Pastry Boy!"

"Yes boss!" He chuckles, making his way toward his drivers room.

I look up at Lando who is still stood in close proximity to me, "that means you too Lando!" I tease, prodding his chest with my pointer finger.

"Yes boss!" He chuckles making his way out of the garage before stopping and turning to face me. "What are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing. Going back to the hotel and watch trash TV. Why?" I ask intrigued.

"Can I join you? You did promise we could hang out again remember." He grins, trying to convince me.

He's right, I did say that.

"And I know I'm special and everything. But I want to make it clear that it's not a date. More of a colleague movie night.." Lando follows up, smiling sheepishly.

"Yeah sure, bring Oscar too! He'll never forgive me if he wasn't invited." I smile, getting lost in my teammates eyes.

Valentina, stop. It's never going to work.

"Sure thing! See you later!" Lando smiles, before finally disappearing off to his drivers room.

They better shower before they come round. I wasn't joking when I said that they stink.