T H I R T Y - T H R E E

SIN 

I sighed, dusting off the blood and dirt from my fingers and forehead as I removed the last stone brick from the wall that divided our two cells. 

"You're telling me that this was the only way for us to begin our escape?" 

"Yes," my ominous neighbor said "In order for us to begin the second phase of my plan, we must destroy the walls that keep us apart." 

"And once we do this, what happens next?" 

"We will then converge to the core of Tartarus in order to find the gateway home." 

A small sliver of hope, a feeling so warm, spread throughout my entire chest. 

I was so close to going home and being reunited with not only all my loved ones but also my Mate. 

A Mate I just knew was blaming himself for my...well...my reason for being in here for the first place. 

A choice I knew that he had to make in order to save me...a choice I knew that killed him the moment he traded positions with me and this cell's previous inhabitant. 

A cell that I'm pretty sure belonged to a psychopath based on the wall ramblings that were most likely written with her own blood. 

If this plan worked, a plan this new acquaintance of mine had yet to fully share in its entirety, I'd be back with the most important people in my life. 

"Finally..." my neighbor breathed, stepping into the minuscule light the permanent blood moon provided outside the small cell window "I knew it could be done." 

My breath caught in my throat as I took in the man's face. 

He looked...he looked...just like...

Cerberus. 

Except that he was older, his hair was longer and he had a full beard that nearly reached the dirty floor. 

"How..." I whispered 

"Huh?" his gaze roamed my body "What do we have here?" 

Before I could react, his hand shot out towards where my fatal wound would have been. 

I tensed, ready for the pain to hit me at any moment. 

When it never did, I glanced down to find his hand an inch away from me, dark smoke curling up his hand. 

"So that's how you survived for so long" he hummed, lifting his arm and twisting his arm from side to side as he gazed at his fully shadowed arm "Looks like we have a stowaway."