His Mate

***Next night***
As the king gazes at the girl descending the stairs, he is filled with awe. She is so breathtakingly beautiful that he wishes to shield her from the eyes of other men, especially in the revealing red dress she wears. Her raven black hair is pulled up into a ponytail, with a few strands framing her forehead delicately.

Her purple eyes sparkle strangely as they meet his, and he realizes that she is the most beautiful woman he has ever laid eyes upon. Her skin is as smooth as a baby's, and her features are sharp, even for an eighteen-year-old. He finds himself unable to tear his eyes away from her exposed leg, feeling his throat dry up at the sight. He regrets choosing such a dress for her, as he knows he will have to fend off countless males who will be captivated by her beauty. His beast stirs within him, growing possessive and protective.

"Way to go, old man," he chuckles, speaking to his inner beast.

"Oh, shut up, your majesty," Thunder huffs, though a chuckle follows. Thunder, for some reason, has taken a liking to the young woman and constantly seeks her attention. Thunder despises it when she does not give them her undivided focus. Their feelings have merged into one, and the king often feels the desire to wrap her around him like a second skin. The only thing holding him back is their professional relationship. But there is always a "but."

She is his guard, but why can't he keep it strictly professional? He wonders. Both he and his beast desire this woman intensely. He has even warned every male in his pack that she is off-limits. The announcement shocked and surprised them, but no one suspects that his guard is also his love, kept secret from all.

This particular woman ignites such a fire within his beast that it has not felt in centuries. Even during intimate moments with past lovers, he would recoil in disgust within his soul. No woman has ever been able to calm his beast, even though they were supposed to have a mate who could do just that. He and his beast believed that the universe despised them, until they laid eyes on the woman descending the stairs. They believe that the universe has finally taken pity on them and blessed them with a stunning woman who serves as their guard. And as the king, he has the power to choose anyone as his partner.

Her eyes always manage to captivate him, drawing him into a trance. She is enchanting in every way, and he finds himself studying every curve of her body. His eyes settle on her hips, which sway seductively with each step she takes. The movement of her hips is the most enticing thing he has ever witnessed. This woman will be the death of him, he thinks. She finally stands before him, one brow raised in amusement. He would give anything to see her like this every day, to hold her in his arms as he did that night in the garden. He has not forgotten how their bodies fit together like missing puzzle pieces. He remembers her fingers caressing his cheeks gently and her head resting against her chest after a nightmare. She never revealed what she saw, but he does not mind as long as she does not despise him. He keeps his eyes locked on her, committing every movement and curve to memory.

The more he looks at her, the more his fingers itch to caress every inch of her body and worship her like the queen she is. But she is his guard, someone who maintains a cold demeanor in his presence and keeps her distance. She reminds him that they are nothing more than employer and employee, even though to him, she is so much more. She is his breath of fresh air, the warmth in his coldest nights, and the fire that melts the ice in his heart.

Everything about her brings him peace. She has taken away much of his pain and regret, leaving him more tranquil than ever before. With his enemies on the rampage, he fears for her safety due to his past. Thunder has been on edge for the past two days, restless and unresponsive when the king asks what is wrong. The unease lingers, but whenever she is near, it vanishes as if it never existed.