CHAPTER TWO

Armida's mother, Celestina, waited in the doorway as resignation shrouded Armida. The minute she'd arrived home, her mother had demanded Armida's presence in the gathering room. It seemed impossible her mother could have learned already of Armida's unsuccessful mission to find clams, yet her mother had a way of knowing these things. Armida just had to get through it. Like all the previous times. At least Paolo wouldn't be a witness.

Petrified wood beams crossed the ceiling of the room and six kelp and sea grass chair hammocks hung from brass ship hooks screwed into the beams. The space was ringed with multiple luminescent tubes filled with organisms that lit up when disturbed. Armida jostled them to keep them glowing in the dining room for meals and for evenings in the gathering room. Or like she did now because her mother called them together.

Her mother directed Armida to a hanging chair. Celestina's blue eyes flashed like stars and her gold curls unfurled about her shoulders like sea snakes. She did not sit down, which made her presence all the more intimidating. Her sky-colored scales were flecked with gold that matched her hair and glinted as she circled Armida.

Surely the grimewater would make her parents forget her failures. ≈It was strange in the lagoon this morning. The water—≈

≈Do not start with your stories. I will not be distracted from the news you returned empty-handed. Your father works hard to prepare our meals and depends on you.≈

Armida slid a side glance at her father, who seemed to be sleeping. It's what he did when he didn't want to face the fact he hadn't defended Armida. Watching her mother cross back and forth made her dizzy.

≈The Terrans dropped a trawl net. I barely escaped them!≈

≈Did they, indeed? And did you cut the net as you've been taught?≈

It was like her mother hadn't heard. Or like she didn't care.

≈They almost caught me. I didn't have time.≈

≈You are no longer a pup. You must take on these duties. Every net ruined means more food for Marea.≈

Armida controlled her tail twitching so she wouldn't be accused of disrespect. Her father shifted in his chair. His silver hair curling around his neck could not hide the new tension across his shoulders. His dark blue skin and teal scales had less luster of late.

≈We must turn to another issue. As I have just said, you are not a child. But according to Marean custom, you would also not be considered an adult until your Metamorphean Rites at nineteen. However, the Tribunale has adjusted the timetable. You and your birthpod will be honored with earlier Rites.≈

Honored? Armida squinted at her mother with her newfound skepticism. ≈When?≈

≈In a week.≈

Armida wasn't certain, but she thought she caught a slight flinch in her mother's posture. ≈So, maybe you can tell me why it is you and the other members of the Tribunale decided one day I am a child and the very next I will be...not-child? Or was it your decision alone?≈

Celestina shook her head. ≈Accepting this may be hard, but a temper tantrum won't help.≈ Celestina turned to her husband. ≈Faro, tell her. She needs to know the details.≈

Her father's face sagged. Armida wondered if it was something more than her Metamorphean Rites. He hadn't foraged with her in weeks. Perhaps it was only that he hadn't agreed with the Tribunale that governed the colony. The three members were formidable. As Custodian, her mother monitored and mediated internal and external conflict for Marea. Her Uncle Torquato as Magister was their teacher. Only the Revealer, Laurenza, was not a close relation. She interpreted the teachings of the ancient Marean progenitors, the Antichi, and provided personal counsel to Mareans.