CHAPTER TWENTY

Sunlight-dappled images through her eyelids meant she was near the surface.

She could not will her eyes to open.

Armida dreamed of dense fog rolling over la Laguna on a winter day.

Warm water bathed her day after day she could not count.

Hands raised her head abovewater. She choked down a cold fish slurry forced into her mouth. Pain sailed from cheek to shoulder to fingertip as she struggled—and failed—to push the hands away from her face.

The sun, low on the horizon, dawn or dusk, she did not know.

Now night, the water cooler.

A towering stack of rocks was silhouetted by a full moon. The star spray was familiar, yet not quite right. But it was beautiful, glittering against the purple-black sky. A lower, squat stone formation carved an arc nearly encircling her in a protective cove. The shallower end lapped onto a pebbled beach.

Sinking back into the coolness. Her gills fluttering.

Where am I? My last memory is of...Ziphra.

Armida rolled over. The stiffness of the long immobile told her she'd been in one place far too long. The sun's position midday with the air remaining cool suggested weeks had elapsed since she'd left her friend. Exploring, Armida identified her immediate area as a larger-than-usual tidal pool, deep enough to permit being submerged and with a narrow channel to the open sea that was partially blocked.

Exhausted from her efforts, she sank back to the sandy floor and let the incoming tide wash over her. A few stray shrimp enticed her to stretch her arm to ensnare them. Their sweetness very nearly made her lose consciousness.

≈At last, you're awake.≈

If she'd had the strength to move suddenly, she would have. As it was, she managed but a slight tremor.

≈Who are you? Where am I? Show yourself!≈

≈In time, my dear, in time. First, rest.≈

≈Tell me at least what has happened. How have I come to be here?≈

≈It is good you are without memory of your injury. They say the stings of the maidkiller are unbearable, exceeding the worst sludgeshark attacks. Survivors often wish for death during recovery. You are stronger stuff, although your hallucinations were quite entertaining. Tales of communicating with dolphins and whales and octopuses! Yes, quite entertaining. And your regard for Paolo moved me. Little one, you called him.≈

It was true. Armida recalled nothing but the tentacles that had stuck to her skin and then the blackness that followed. That her mindpath skills with other animals were assumed to be fever figments was for the best. ≈You found me?≈

≈I saw you at the surfbreak being churned in the cresting waves. I dragged you to the tide pool for your safety and have cleaned your wounds as best I could. I am pleased you are finally alert, but we both need respite from your many questions. You shall have your answers later.≈

✧✧✧

The shadows of trees played out on the water above her, dancing like merpups on a spring day.

It was time. Time to test her strength. Time to return to her duties.

Armida had been percolating in her thoughts too long.

The slime that had been spread over her skin every day was no longer necessary. Her face had been wrapped with seaweed for protection. She had been afraid to remove the bandaging herself; her benefactor had replaced the dressing every evening. She touched her face for the first time since the wounding. Gently, cautiously probing for scars. When her fingers found the rough line trailing from her right temple to the corner of her mouth, she winced but not with physical pain. She closed her eyes and swam to the surface near the rock wall where she might catch her reflection in the silvery pool.