CHAPTER SIX

A speck of land above the hidden caverns of Marea, the Isolotto di Nuovi was of no use and no temptation to Terrans who had their expansive western lands—the entire Terre dell' Ovest—where they found the animals worth hunting and the raw materials worth unearthing.

A dense, low foliage fringed the tunnel entrance. A ring of trees and the poisonous vines that grew close to the water discouraged interest from the most curious fishermen, who anyway knew easier locations to cast their nets. Nothing but birds and insects saw what happened on the island, where three small structures, thatched with reeds and sedges, surrounded a patch of grass called the Initiate Green. Armida's Uncle Torquato lived alone in the largest hut, where he spent part of each year abovewater for the trainings and his studies.

Armida preferred her years studying with her uncle in Marea over the past weeks on this island, though she had tired of Terran education even there. "Uncle Torquato, I wish I had you to myself instead of sharing you with the others."

"You must not call me Uncle during our time here. I am Magister for all of you."

Armida winced. He'd already admonished her once for opening her mindpath with Delfina, who'd tattled on her. "Yes, Magister."

"Ah, dear Armida, quite unable to hide your distress. Do not worry. Your uncle is still here, just disguised for a while. He has not forgotten his Boop-boop."

Though she did not like being reminded of the nickname based on the bug-eyed fish, Armida allowed the hint of a smile at the warm words recently absent since her arrival. Lessons provided the opportunity to be with him, for which she was grateful, despite her labor to speak fluently and inability to repress laughter during lectures on the ridiculous clothes and cultural practices of Terrans.

"Magister, why is my Terran skin so pale and yours dark?" She didn't ask about his lack of hair. He had a semi-circle of curly red fringe from his left ear to his right, a little longer in the back than on the sides. The other mermen had thick, shoulder-length hair.

"These are things as merfolk we do not know. But it is often shared in families. You have your parents' Terran color. I have my father's. For us, it matters not at all, but it is different among Terrans, though Venice is more tolerant of darker skin than many places."

"Another reason I shall avoid Terra then. I should not like a place that did not like you."

Torquato offered Armida a slice of bread.

Armida frowned. "If that is supposed to be a peace offering, you have made a poor choice. How are you able to eat it without a cask of water nearby? The dryness is thoroughly unappealing, thickening in your throat like swallowing a kelp ball whole."

Torquato smiled and returned the bread to the plate. "These things may surprise you in time."

✧✧✧

Delfina and Isabetta crossed from a second hut to where Armida and Torquato sat on the Green. They attempted to sit cross-legged but even with the long slits in their tunics, they could not. Torquato alone had sufficient flexibility.

"Rinaldo! Do not make us wait for you!"

They slapped their hands to their ears at Torquato's bellowing.

Isabetta brushed her copper hair over her ears. "Will I ever be able to hear words without feeling as if my head will explode? It is unbearable."

They turned to look at their hut, their home for the months on the island, where Rinaldo stood in the doorway with a grin spreading on his face. He moved to his toes, then swinging his arms, he took several quick, bounding steps and cartwheeled toward the waiting group.