CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Theo arrived with their midday meal. He did not leave immediately, as the other guards usually did. He loitered in the doorway and did not drop his gaze from Delfina, except once when Armida caught him scrutinizing her movements across the small stonehold.

If she stayed near to Delfina, he would never approach, so Armida gave him room to tempt him closer. And closer had to happen if they were to solve the puzzle of Oriana. Once they had the information, they could flee Thalassa and head for Marea, although Armida was ready to leave whether they found out or not.

Delfina was proving to be formidable in dealing with mermen. She had flirted with the guards, played at being the vulnerable prisoner, flattered them flagrantly, and withdrew shyly. She was confident Theo believed she found him attractive, although she had said nothing to him directly. Armida doubted the subtleties of these types of interactions because she preferred frank and direct communication.

The longer Theo remained outside, the less control Armida had over the anxiety that burned her senses. Delfina shot her a warning glance when Armida's nerves got the best of her and her tail twitched.

Closed mindpaths were an essential part of their strategy. Delfina convinced Armida once they committed to it, the tension created for Theo would far outweigh any disadvantage. Neither had anticipated the agitation Armida would feel.

Delfina did not finish her meal. As she placed the food basket on the floor, a nudge tipped over the basket, and the uneaten krill floated into the open water. Her antics in attempting to recover them forced Armida to hide her amusement behind her hands. Delfina tapped her temple in the agreed-upon cue. They opened their mindpaths.

≈Help me, Theo. Don't let them get away.≈

Theo darted to her side and scrambled after the tiny shrimp headed for parts unknown. As he and Delfina netted the escapees, laughter seeped into their mindpaths. Armida had to admit they were entertaining. It reminded her of the sea circus performances for merpups held four times a year to celebrate each new season. Armida noticed the shift in Theo's eyes. From captor to friend to something a tinge closer that he tried to hide by quickly drawing away.

Nods passed between Armida and Delfina. There might not be another chance.

Delfina placed her hand on Theo's arm. ≈Theo, I must ask you something.≈

He tilted his head with a wary expression.

≈Was another Marean mermaid here prior to me?≈

Theo shook his head. ≈I'm not sure.≈ He cast his gaze downward, unable to hide that he knew something.

When he lifted his head, Delfina stared deeply into his eyes. ≈Was her name Oriana?≈

Theo nodded. ≈But she wasn't a captive.≈

≈Are you certain? What happened to her?≈

With a shrug, Theo responded. ≈I don't know.≈

✧✧✧

Armida moved to the shadowy wall. The guards entered, with Erastus storming in behind them.

≈What the sludge is going on here, Theo? The guards overheard you. I warned you she—they—could not be trusted. Where is that scheming mermaid?≈

≈I assume you mean me.≈ Armida swept into the center of the cave. Erastus would feel her power in the current. ≈You dare call me scheming when you brazenly took advantage of Marean hospitality. When you faced rejection from me, you stole Delfina from us out of spite? I will not be judged by a Thalassan.≈

Erastus glared at Theo. ≈Have you revealed our secrets then, Theo? Are you as easily influenced as the tide? Have you no resolve, no allegiance to Thalassa?≈