CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Armida changed from her simple dress into a gown Oriana had provided. Armida had refused offers of clothing in the past, but today she needed every advantage. The turquoise moiré silk, reminiscent of her scale color, appealed to her, and the shape and fit would appeal to Terisio. The fact of wearing an expensive gown would send the right message. She entered the salon with as much flourish as she dared.

"Gemma! How lovely you are. Come sit with me." Oriana patted the rose velvet settee that served as her throne.

"I detect your parfumier has created a new fragrance for you. He has captured your essence." The scent was loathsome—so thick Armida tasted it. She smiled at her subtlety. Her mother had been her teacher after all.

"Yes, he is a magician." Oriana scanned the room. "Where is your admirer today?"

Armida shrugged and drew her face into practiced disappointment. "I wore a special dress for him particularly."

A flutter of voices and lace at the entrance announced an arrival. When the women parted, Terisio strode into the room as a man with a mission. Armida set herself for what was to come next.

I match your mission with mine. Let the strongest survive.

Terisio grasped her offered hand and kissed the top lightly. Armida shoved away her unexpected reaction to the pleasant sensation of his lips brushing her skin. She allowed her hand to rest in his long enough to capture his attention, then slowly withdrew it, tracing her index finger across his palm. She lowered her eyes at his muted gasp.

Oriana said, "I will leave you two to get better acquainted. Name a daughter after me."

Armida tittered like some ridiculous innocent. To her surprise, Terisio blushed, giving her the confidence to proceed.

Seize the opportunity that presents itself.

Terisio, after weeks of cautious advancement, said, "Perhaps we might talk in a more private room."

Armida nodded and tilted her head as she peered up at him. Delfina would be proud.

Terisio guided Armida with his palm on the small of her back. When Armida saw the room with its pillow-laden bed, a shudder sailed through her. She worried Terisio noticed.

"Do not be afraid. Let us sit here for a bit. I would never hurt you."

She reached for her emotions and tears formed. "It is too soon. You will hurt me."

Her sobs brought Terisio's arm around her protectively. "Gemma, how can I prove my regard for you?"

"I am unsure." But Armida had in mind exactly what he would have to do. Delicacy in her words would be necessary.

"Tell me. Tell me anything. I will do anything for you."

The glaze of desperation in his eyes revealed how easy her ploy would be.

"Would you go against Nikos for me?" Armida noted his flicker of hesitation.

Then Terisio said, "Yes, I would."

Armida tilted her head and pretended to consider the options. "There is something. I have been beset by it since the last time we spoke."

"Let me reassure you and offer comfort."

"I want to visit the sea creature. To see him myself."

Terisio said, "You would be terrified." The fear of Stavlakis skittered across his face. She must press harder.

"Well, you said you would do anything. Were you lying?" Armida furrowed her brow.

✧✧✧