CHAPTER THREE

Long after the pups had ended their play, Armida and Rinaldo floated in the kelp forest, swaying among the green ribbons and filtered golden sunlight of the late afternoon. The gentle current caused the kelp to billow and glide across their bodies.

Armida slid a glance at Rinaldo and caught his intent gaze as he shifted closer. Her stomach fluttered, as did her heart, but she backed away to hide behind the tangle of plants reaching for the surface. ≈Do you remember the first time we came here together?≈

≈The time we stole your uncle's sweet shrimp at the Spring Hunt celebration when he fell asleep? And we hid out here to avoid punishment and everyone thought we were lost.≈

Turning to face Rinaldo, Armida smiled. ≈ The kelp forest will ever be a place of happiness for me.≈

Armida considered Rinaldo's expression. These new emotions that darted between them like barely-seen minnows unsettled her. Kelp swirled around them, shifting from green to black as the sun set abovewater.

≈Even now?≈

Armida rested a hand on Rinaldo's arm. ≈Especially now when the future weighs heavily.≈ She cast her gaze downward, preparing for what might come next.

Rinaldo stroked Armida's cheek. ≈Our future?≈

≈How can we have a future? You who are so fascinated by land and never fail to suggest it is your destiny. If I never touch Terran soil, I will be the happier for it.≈

Rinaldo drew away from Armida. His carefree posture vanished. He stiffened as if preparing for an attack. ≈You will not support my search for answers concerning my mother? It is always this way with you.≈

When he was a young pup, Rinaldo had seemed carefree, but as he got older, he confided a pain he hid from others. He began to fantasize his mother was alive and waiting for him. Years ago, Armida had stopped trying to convince him Terra offered him nothing.

≈I know you think there is an explanation in Venice and, of course, I support your decision to go. I will be your friend, always. But it will be here in Marea. I will not pretend my support will be with you in Terra.≈

Rinaldo's eyes sparked. ≈Why pretend I matter to you?≈

≈Why pretend our needs have ever been anything but mismatched?≈

In a flashing shiver, Rinaldo shook off Armida's touch. The movement made the black swirls on his silver scales snake as if they were alive.

With regret for her careless words, Armida moved her tail fin gracefully but with precision, drawing closer to Rinaldo.

Rinaldo shot away, tearing bits of kelp from their moorings, and littering the space he left behind. The fragments reminded Armida of the falling snow she had seen once many years ago. That had been magical as the flakes hit the water, but these small shreds lingered and were colored with the bitterness of Rinaldo's unspoken reply.

Armida followed his wake without purpose.

Why was it so easy to share words and so hard to reveal feelings?

As doubts surrounding the Rites and their purpose formed a squall that unbalanced her, Armida swam back to her homecave. The starfish, sea urchins, and sand dollars she loved to inspect and tease would have to wait.

Dismay slithered its way into her mind. The possibility of living among Terrans sent waves of horror rumbling the length of her body. Old stories told of those who rebelled, who stayed too long abovewater and were not able to live in the sea again.

Her muscles slackened; she sank to the seabed.

Breathing air was the most horrendous thought of all.

And with the barbed edges of her nature for protection, she built a wall.