CHAPTER FOUR

Neither Armida's mind nor body trusted the threat had passed. Alone, trembling on the sea floor, she remained alert. The sludgeshark memory looping in her head was a survival mechanism gone awry. When Nudger and Warbler found her, they rested near her, waiting and watching. Their protective presence warmed Armida with gratitude.

After a time, the dolphins prodded Armida to move. She stroked their snouts and opened her mindpath. They'd never shared words; the idea sailed beyond imagination. No legends among merfolk told of such a thing. After the encounter with Liath, she wanted to try.

≈Thank you, my friends. I am happy you are here.≈

Warbler made the giggling sounds that always made Armida smile.

Nudger poked her arm. ≈Time to get you home. Your parents search for you.≈

Armida shook her head. Not to reject the need to return home—but with astonishment at the ability to share words with her friends. The Antichi had taught merfolk language, how to use words. Had they taught other sea life as well?

≈How long have I been here?≈

≈Not long.≈

It was Nudger. How did she sense it had been Nudger?

≈Have you shared words with others?≈

≈You are the first. The only. Until now we never thought to. With you, it feels natural, inevitable.≈

≈And Warbler, what words do you have?≈

≈You are courageous. We were so far away.≈ Her words tickled Armida's mindpath much as her giggles had done. Distinct from the deeper, lower sensation of Nudger's words.

The power and strength that came with such a gift astonished her, along with the burden of carrying it as a secret. There was no way she could share this with anyone. There was no reason she should. She already felt an outsider. She didn't want to make it worse. Even her parents could not be trusted. They would learn nothing from her unless it suited her purposes. They weren't the only ones who could keep secrets. She vowed she would make her choices without their help.

Clinging to the dorsal fins of both dolphins, she let them tow her toward home. She welcomed their speed.

As the thrum from the Watcher Station grew clear, she promised herself she would not let the ocean be ravaged. Not the least because a ruined ocean robbed Paolo of his future. She would find a way for him to have the same clear sea and vital ocean she had known in her youth.

Armida saw Paolo as he bolted from the cave entrance. ≈I have an amazing story to tell you, Little One.≈

≈Is it a true story?≈ Paolo's eyes glittered.

≈It is. It is the tale of how I saved a whale from sludgesharks.≈

≈Sludgesharks! Wait until Father hears!≈

≈Paolo! No!≈

But it was too late. He had darted to the cave entrance and into their father's arms.

✧✧✧

Armida forced an apologetic smile as her parents, Faro and Celestina, streaked to greet her. Once their relief faded, they would be angry. She dreaded that moment.

Faro reached her first. He wrapped her in a hug. ≈You must stop taking such risks. You've scared me badly. I don't know what I'd do without you.≈

≈But I saved a whale! He was injured. And I destroyed a fishing net!≈

Faro stroked her hair and kissed her forehead. ≈My brave girl.≈

Armida buried her face in her father's shoulder. She didn't know what she'd do without him either. Before they pulled apart, her mother launched into her tirade.