CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Isabetta followed Armida, and both kept their movements slight to allow the kelp to mask their presence. Armida knew of a recess in the nearby coral and rock formations. The opening near the seabed was too narrow for a sludgeshark, but adequate for the two mermaids.

Isabetta slid in first. Armida backed in, providing her with a view of the coming attack. There was no doubt there would be one now. The sharks' rapid fanning of fins and tails stirred up sediment. Their rabid twisting told all.

A shark thrust its nose into the crevice but did not reach Armida. It spun and scraped the sea floor to consume what it found in the mud and sand it had swirled up in a cloud.

Armida squinted. ≈There are three, though I am not sure. The cloudiness confuses them as well, but it is certain they can smell us. They will not give up. We are trapped.≈

Isabetta tugged at Armida. ≈Be careful. Don't get too close. We should prepare to stay until morning.≈

≈It is my second time without a knife when one was needed. Never again. It is a hard way to learn a lesson.≈

They rested as the water churned. Isabetta broke the silence. ≈I wonder if Delfina and Erastus made it back.≈

≈It is our best hope.≈

A shark began breaking off hunks of the sandstone, widening the entrance. A thunderous crack caused the mermaids to flinch. Isabetta bumped Armida, edging her near open water. Pointed gray teeth raked Armida's shoulder, and the blood from her broken skin sent the sludgesharks into a frenzy.

Armida inched back, pressing Isabetta into the rock. A second shark fought to get closer, tearing at its companion. In the night water, the blood appeared black, the rivulets rising from the shark's gaping wounds as it swam to escape the others.

≈We have one less to worry us.≈

The shark split off a jagged stone fragment with a single violent snap. Falling outside Armida's reach, the sharp stone was worth the risk of being crushed in the powerful jaw. Without a weapon, they might not last long enough to be rescued.

The sharks worked as a team to stage their assaults. Armida's mindpath was beset by a barrage of shadows and ruin.

≈Isabetta! There are moments when they hesitate. I will have a chance.≈

≈No, please wait. It's not worth it.≈

Armida didn't respond. She lurched for the stone.

The shark lunged for Armida.

Isabetta yanked her back. The shark scraped along the rock floor, deeper than the previous attempt. Its heaving bulk plugged the opening as its jaws worked for the prey within reach.

With Isabetta at her back, Armida raised the pointed stone and rammed the point down into the shark's eye. The shriek in Armida's mindpath was a searing pain. She pulled back her weapon and stabbed again. And again, unwilling or unable to stop.

Isabetta reached for Armida's hand and slowed her strikes until they no longer served a purpose, and the shark lay dead, blocking their shelter.

Wedged in the opening that had been their only exit.

✧✧✧

Isabetta and Armida maneuvered as best they could, fighting their disgust with the sludgeshark's blood filling the tight space. They made no progress shifting the sludgeshark to allow them an escape; its hulking weight was repulsive to their touch.

Isabetta curled herself against the rock. ≈Do you suppose the last shark is still waiting?≈

≈Someone will come for us. Do not be too worried.≈ Armida scooted close to Isabetta.