CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Armida practiced mindbreathing, as she had come to name her calming, imagined breathing technique. It would not help Paolo if she provoked Erastus. He could play these games for days, leaving no profit in agitation. She had traveled alone many months and spent many nights in dark caves and survived worse threats. Imprisonment here would be no different. In some ways her stay in Thalassa was better. They brought sufficient food to her, and she was safe from predators.

And Delfina was alive, although in what condition was not clear. Erastus had checked on her twice, but Armida closed her mindpath to him. That was difficult without knowledge of Paolo. She was desperate to know but it was better to seem less anxious. She would learn soon if he would leverage Paolo against her and what his intent was.

Let his thoughts be like churnwater.

Theo brought her krill twice each day. He had kind eyes, purple like Erastus's but not as intense. His brow furrowed when Armida refused to open her mindpath. He tried signing to communicate, but Armida ate her food and would simply nod when she gave him the empty basket when she was done.

The third day of isolation was easier than the previous days. Her drag injuries had healed and the regular meals had brought strength back. A guard floated outside her small detention cave and she noted every detail of schedules and behaviors.

Movement drew Armida's attention. It was Theo in agitated conversation with the latest guard. Theo's words came first. ≈...other one. She found out Armida is here and is angry we've kept them separated. They need our help controlling her without injury to her or anyone else.≈

≈I can't leave this one. Erastus said she can't be trusted.≈

≈ Don't question me. Just come.≈

And with that, Armida was alone.

She hovered in the corridor and watched the two mermen as they followed a channel to the right and were gone from sight. Except for the distant subsurface current, silence hung in the water. The lumes were spaced to provide enough light for Armida to progress safely, but she paused to deliberate.

Staying close to the wall, Armida swam to the end of the corridor with minimal use of her tail, allowing her to move with a lower likelihood of detection. If someone was nearby, she didn't want to raise an alarm. When she reached the intersecting passage, she peered around the edge. No merman was in sight. Brighter lumes and movement were visible in an open space further into the cavern.

When Armida glanced up, she noticed an opening in the ceiling through which a wayward shrimp or two drifted in. An escape route. She would be free. However, Paolo would not. Armida would never leave without Paolo. They understood that.

She would break if she did not see Paolo. They were cruel not to reunite them, if not for her, then for Paolo.

She would have to find another way.

✧✧✧

When two mermen waited as a third tied Armida's hands, she struggled until it required all three to hold her still. She should not have revealed her strength, but submitting in the moment was impossible. Finally, Erastus arrived with displeasure shooting from his eyes.

He tapped the side of his head and then hers. Armida shook her head. With a gesture from Erastus, the mermen jerked her bindings tighter, and the cords cut into her wrists. The hatred on his face was mirrored by how Armida felt. She hoped he felt her fury. But she also feared for Paolo.

≈How do you feel, Erastus, to have not one but two mermaids captive and a pup? That is, if you have the ability to feel anything.≈

≈You are predictable, you know. It was destined you would come for Delfina.≈