CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Liath's great bulk was of no consequence as they left behind the Aegeano and headed into the Ionian Sea. But the plots and actions of Terrans and Hellenics and the changing waters of Marea that affected every living creature were. What began in the Adriatico would spread. Careless disregard of the ocean was like an anchor around Armida's neck.

These concerns were most useful in her efforts to keep thoughts of Erastus at bay.

≈How did you find me, Liath? I traveled from Marea with much stealth because I feared being tracked. I wanted to remain unnoticed by the Thalassans.≈ Armida turned her entire body to face Liath to make eye contact. ≈Though the whole incident was based on confusions and false understandings by everyone.≈

≈It is not so hard to find traces of a mermaid who converses with all manner of sea creatures. You were unnoticed by Thalassans, perhaps. However, your travel left evidence along your route.≈

≈That surprises me.≈

≈Following a trail of empty shells was not so difficult. Many know of a certain mermaid's preference for spider crabs.≈

Armida shook her head and smiled. ≈That observation is not at all a surprise.≈

Liath's thunder of laughter was heartening.

≈Where are you headed? How long will I have your company?≈

Liath reached out to Armida with a fin and propelled her ahead. ≈I wish my travels included you. Unfortunately, I must head to cooler waters no longer offered by Marea. I am sorry I cannot be a companion at a time when you feel such sadness.≈

They swam together with no exchanges. Armida absorbed the beauty of the Aegeano and delighted in the marvels she witnessed. Despair clutched her throat as she thought of her father, who had been the first to introduce her to the joys of their ocean world.

A school of small rainbow wrasse curled in a swoosh of silver and red. These were in the male phase of development, and Armida pondered how things would be different if merfolk could change sex as freely. Adaptability might solve many things, the current crisis included. The ocean held more wonders than she could imagine and perhaps solutions, too.

As they entered deeper water, she would soon say goodbye to Liath. Her heartache over the parting was diminished by the hope they might chance to meet again. She had not expected to encounter him after the first time, so perhaps, with luck, a third might happen.

Five tuna flashed obliquely across their path. Their fins were retracted, revealing their intent was speed, though Armida saw no evidence of prey or predator. She envied their swiftness which would have delivered her home sooner.

≈It is here I must part with you. I wish you safety on your trip. May your heart be lifted by the time you behold Marea again.≈

≈Fair currents, Liath. I will make my way to visit my friend Ziphra who did her part to keep me alive on my adventure.≈

Liath, his grey mass heaving, surged to the surface for air, something Armida had forgotten he needed. The water spun her dizzyingly but would not drown her, a thing for which she was grateful.

✧✧✧

Armida explored the darkening where the sea fell away from the shore, where small fish hid and large fish preyed. This was a different solitude. Less anger, more dismay. She sought a resting place where she might sleep protected and take time to reflect.

Her memory of the Metamorphean Rites was ancient. Or only yesterday. She barely remembered the intensity of Terran odors, sounds, sights, yet she couldn't forget them.