CHAPTER SEVEN

Armida sat on the ground and closed her eyes. They should have been tested in the ocean. They were Mareans, sea dwellers. "I have decided I will not need these Terran skills. The time here will be my one and only experience of land."

"You are feeling confident today, I see." Torquato shook his head. "Like the sunfish that thinks it has no predators."

Armida puffed air out of her nose. Another Teran skill that expressed emotion. It was curious but satisfying. "Do not treat me like a child. It's insulting."

Torquato grimaced. "If you continue behaving as a child, what would you expect?"

The breeze brought odors from the Terran city of Venice. Armida tilted her head back, inhaling, concentrating on identification of the unfamiliar scents. She had failed the last test on smells. Air was dry, dusty in her lungs. At least she no longer coughed as much.

Torquato closed his eyes as he took several breaths and asked, "Describe it to me. What do you smell?"

"Saltwater, fish—rotting fish. Things without names. They make my nose tingle. Smoke." A rancid odor overtook Armida with the next breath. "What is that?" She gagged.

"It is the tannery. Or the textile dyes. Or the printers. From just beyond Venice, the land without ocean. You must accustom yourself to these Terran things and learn the appropriate reaction. For your protection."

Armida stood. "As I said, safety on Terra is unimportant. I am not leaving Marea." Armida drew in her lips, unwilling to reveal her foreboding. Armida spun away from her uncle, but without sufficient control of her new legs, her balance failed, and she pitched forward into the high grass.

The other Initiates joined them on the Green.

Isabetta asked, "Why are we gathering early in the morning?"

Torquato's face was bright with expectation. "You will spend today in Venice. Let us prepare."

Muck.

Rinaldo danced around the group. The earth's pull did not hold him down like the rest. He somersaulted and bounded, jumped in the air as if his legs had springs where Armida's had stones.

It was Terra calling him.

So be it.

✧✧✧

Torquato sailed to the northeast end of Venice and deposited them in the Venetian district, sestiere Castello, that had an active port. Their boat went undetected among the many moving in and out of the docks for loading and unloading of shipments.

"Buona fortuna! Remember, Venice is a city of walkers. And don't fall in a canal." Torquato laughed so hard he nearly rocked himself off the boat. "I will be back at 4:00. Look to the San Marco clock tower for guidance. Remember your lessons that Terrans are controlled by their instruments for rationing time. We must depart before dusk when the workers of the city rush home."

Armida remained motionless after both feet were on the ground. This was Venice. Terra. The place of her nightmares. At least Torquato had furnished suitable clothing so they blended with the crowd at the quay, but the long sleeves of rough brown wool scratched her arms where her linen chemise had holes, and the entire dress smelled of dampness. The apron had light stains on the skirt. She was glad the bodice was clean.

What are we supposed to do all day?

Rinaldo strode alone toward a crumbling building. He failed to adhere to Torquato's admonition that a calm, even pace might camouflage his social class. He wouldn't be mistaken for a patrician, and not by his clothes alone. Armida was grateful slower steps were expected. It hid her clumsiness that speed exposed.