Chapter 5 : The Bodyguard

Amani's POV

My mate?
How could he be my mate?
Sure, I wouldn't know he was my mate until I turned 25 but it seemed too good to be true.
And he was the king?
Did this mean I would be a queen?
This was way too overwhelming and Jade being in the condition wasn't helping.

I needed advice on what to do and she was the only one I could count on.
"My King, will our daughter need to go with you to your Kingdom?"
My mother asked and I waited for his reply.
"Actually no, we do not need to go right away."
"I figured that your daughter may want to stay a bit longer, seeing that her friend is in a vegetative state."
"If she's here, it means that the other son will be close and that will be a good thing."

"But nonetheless, she must move in with me", he said and I couldn't believe my ears.
"Whoa whoa whoa, moving?"
"I have to move in with a man I just met?
" I asked.
"Yes honey, he is your mate and once you find your mate you must be together as soon as possible", my mother said.
"But, I don't know if he's my mate, how can I trust him?"
I asked.

"Which is why you should spend more time with me, I am the only one feeling the mate bond right now and with time you'll fall for me before you know it", he said with sarcasm.
"No, Jade needs me and I refuse to move in with a man I don't know."
"I do not care if you are my mate!"
"My best friend comes first before any man", I said with conviction and my mother tapped me, indicating that I should be quiet.

"Hah, you wanna make this hard for yourself right?"
He said coldly.
"Since you want us to do it the hard way, fine", he snapped and I wondered what he meant.
He turned to my parents and Jade's parents before he spoke.
"You four, do you know the consequences of your actions?"

They didn't seem to understand what he meant but he continued speaking.
"You overfed on a human and you killed them and buried the body, did you or did you not?"
He asked in a commanding matter.
"What are you talking about?"
"My parents would never", I exclaimed.
How dare he accuse them of murder?
He was just making things up.

"It's not true, right Mom?"
I asked my mother but she looked away.
"Dad?"
No reply.
"Mrs Silac?"
No reply.
"Can you guys tell me what's going on?"
I yelled.
"As king, there is nothing that happens without my knowledge."
"I have spies and informants everywhere and I made sure that you all were watched while you were in hiding."

"You can imagine the shock I felt when I heard that you all were driven by your bloodlust and killed a human."
"You do know the consequences of your actions right?
"I wonder what the supernatural court will say about your offense", the man said and my father knelt down on his knees and started to beg.

"Please, do not report us, we cannot leave our daughter alone in this world."
"We were the ones that killed the human, they had nothing to do with it."
Mr and Mrs Silac got on their knees as well and started to beg.
"No, we knew what they did and we helped them to bury the human.

"We are guilty too", Mr Silac said.
"How could you guys do that to someone?"
I said and I could feel tears well up in my eyes.
I then recalled the time I saw the four of them digging up that night, I thought I was dreaming but I sure wasn't.
"We are sorry Amani, we just wanted to relive the feeling of biting a human's neck."

"It just doesn't feel the same when you drink from a blood bag, and we should have known better", my mother said in tears.
"Please do not forgive us for what we did, we are ashamed to look you in the eye", my dad said sorrowfully.

"Now here is the fun part, the man said.
"You move in with me and accept me as your mate and your parents' secret is kept safe with me, not a single vampire or human will hear of it", he bargained.