Chapter 17 : The Bridal Shower

Amani's POV

I walked behind the guard, trying to keep up with his pace. We finally got to our destination and he left me alone with the queen.
She hadn't noticed my presence, so I took a good glance at her appearance.
She was standing in front of the fireplace, dressed in nighties, but she still looked as elegant as she was. Seeing her in an outfit that wasn't her royal dresses really fascinated me.

She looked like she was in her early twenties and she could pass as Liam's and Sapphire's sister.
The vampire genes were really something.
"Mother", I said and she turned to look at me with a smile.

"Oh dear Amani, how are you today?"
"I see you have the 'wedding glow", she teased and I laughed.
"The girls are already sleeping, I thought you'd be sleeping too", she said and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Uhh, I had to uhm .uhm", I stuttered.
"See your husband to be, I presume?" she said, raising her two eyebrows.
"Sorry mother, I just wanted to see him for a little bit", I said innocently.
"I understand dear."

"I felt the same when I was to marry Derek."
"I was just a young lady who hadn't been with any man, living a regular life, and suddenly I became a Queen."

"And now, my own son met his mate too", she said, patting my head as she said the last part.
"I am really glad that you are Liam's mate."
"Amani, you and Liam make the perfect couple."

"Vampire or not, you both were able to come together despite your differences and backgrounds, and I am happy that you both share such a strong bond like any other."

"I trust that you both will rule this kingdom one day, and I am sure that you both will make history", she said, tears filling her eyes.
I hugged her and thanked her for the comforting words.
It was nice to have her around, and I loved that Liam had such a great bond with his mother.
"Now now, it's getting late."
"Go to bed, you're having your pictures taken tomorrow, and you don't want to have any eye bags", she said wiping her tears away.

"Yes, of course mother."
"Goodnight", I said to her.
"Have a good night's rest Amani, I'll see you in the morning", she said before leaving.
I watched her leave before I went into my bedroom.
I knew it wasn't empty when I heard loud snores coming from inside.
Jade and Sapphire were snuggled together in one bed and snoring so loudly that it sounded like a truck engine.

They must have been so tired from today's work, and I was glad that they were taking rest.
There were two beds in the room, so I slept on the empty bed after washing up.
I needed enough rest as we were taking pre wedding photos the next day and I didn't want to be all puffy.
These pictures were to be on display all through the castle hallways, so I wanted to look my best.

The next day

"Ouch!"
"Jade!"
I yelled as she tightened the corset around my waist.
It was compulsory to wear the vampire traditional wedding dress, but I really didn't like the style of the dress, so I decided to wear it to take pictures only.
I would wear the one we got from the mall tomorrow instead.

We had to have the royal portrait taken, and I was glad that we didn't have to sit for hours while the painter drew us.
We were going to use an old vintage camera, and the camera man would frame the pictures.
"Sorry, this is the last string okay?"
"Just hold your breath", she said behind me.
"Hold my-", I said but didn't continue as I felt air leave my lungs.
"Breathe now", she said, as she turned to face me.

"Are you trying to kill me before my wedding day?
I asked but she rolled her eyes at me.
"See, the dress is not so bad!"
"Look for yourself", she said, gesturing to the mirror.
My hair and makeup was already done by Sapphire and Jemma helped me put the dress on.