Chapter 10 : The Grandmother

Author's POV

Jade felt teary eyed as she read the letter.
She had missed her best friend so much, and she couldn't wait to see her.
She hurriedly ran to her room to write back to Amani.
She motioned for the bird to follow her and it did.

It flew to her window and waited for her.
She wrote a reply to Amani, telling her that she was now a vampire and she would come for her soon.
She also promised to inform her family about the current situation.
She tied the message to the bird and it flew away.
She stared at the window blankly, wondering what the future awaited.

Amani and Liam were in the royal greenhouse, checking out different plants.
Liam picked up a rose and gave to Amani, which made her blush.
"I have never received flowers", she said.
"Good thing I'm here now", Liam said and he patted her head.

"I noticed you love purple, so here are lavender seeds", he said and placed a seed bag in her hand.
"They are lavender seeds, you can make your own nursery if you want", he said and she pulled him into a big hug.
"Omg, thank you so much Liam."
"I've always wanted to grow my own flowers, and now I can", she said.
"I have no doubt you'd do a good job", he said, admiring her.

Amani suddenly grew sad and moved away from him.
He noticed her mood and held her hand, asking her what was wrong.
"I..I feel so useless."
"I can't do anything for you as your mate, yet you've done so much for me."
"I feel like a burden to you and your family."
"And you were right in front of me all those times but I never noticed, instead I thought another man was my ..my mate."
"I.. I don't think I'm worthy to be your soulmate Liam", she said, tears strolling down her cheek.

Liam hated to see her upset and he quickly hugged her.
"No no baby."
"Don't say that."
"You're not a burden to us, we are happy to have you here."
He looked her in the eyes and wiped her tears.

"You are the best mate ever and don't think you haven't done anything for me."
"Who hit Cole before he could get to us?"
"You did."
"You're brave Amani."
"And it wasn't your fault that you couldn't recognise me, so don't blame yourself for it."

"Very soon, you'll feel the mate bond and then we will finally be inseparable."
"So don't say you're useless okay?" He said and she nodded.
He kissed her forehead before hugging her one more time.

"I love you Amani, he said".
Her heart melted at his confession. She loved him too regardless of the mate bond, and she was happy he was her mate.
"I love you too Liam", she said and hugged him back.
They walked back to the castle and Sapphire was already waiting by the castle doors.

She 'kidnapped' Amani from Liam, saying Amani needed a female who she could speak to.
She promised to return Amani after dinner, but that wasn't the plan at all.
Sapphire, Queen Lilith and Amani would have a girl's night out, away from the boys.

Liam expected to have his mate after dinner, but he was sulking when he saw his mate leave with his mother and sister.
Amani mouthed a 'sorry' as she left with her mate's sister and mother.
They went in Sapphire's room and Amani was surprised at how girlish it was.

It was painted pink, and looked like a princess' room.
Three matching PJs were on the bed, and Amani guessed it was for both of them.
Queen Lilith and Sapphire wanted to lift Amani's spirit.
They reckoned that she must have missed her family, so they organized a girl's night out to have fun.
One might have thought that Queen Lilith was a little too old for such parties, but that wasn't the case as she looked like she was Amani's age.

Those were one of the perks of being a vampire, you looked as if you were in your twenties, even if you were over fifty.

After putting on their matching PJs, they played fun games and had a drinking competition.
Amani enjoyed their company, it was as if she was with her close friends.
Queen Lilith told them about how she met King Derek and they squealed like teenage girls when she mentioned the wedding night.