Chapter 167

A major event happened in the capital that drew everyone's attention.

The crown prince and the Jin Prince each formed a team of riders to compete in a polo match. It was supposed to be a game born from some joking words. However, Emperor Xi suddenly released an edict proclaiming the following: The younger generation of all the officials and nobility could participate in this polo match. The winner would be bestowed the Dragon Ascending Ornament, and all the participants would be rewarded and conferred titles as well.

The atmosphere reached a climax.

Polo was a ball sport played on horseback. It was the sport of preference for the Grand Xi's nobility. In his youth, even Emperor Xi would join a match when he was in the mood.

Actually, this started due to an unrelated matter. Emperor Xi had been evaluating the Jin Prince's martial skills at the training field. The crown prince arrived unexpectedly. The two didn't see eye to eye in the first place. The crown prince wasn't good at martial arts and had always been jealous of the Jin Prince. Seeing him showing off valiantly on the field, he was even more jealous.

The Jin Prince naturally wouldn't let go of this great opportunity to step on him in front of the crowd and issued a challenge. Since it was hard for the crown prince to get out of it, he had been forced to accept.

Unexpectedly, due to being afraid of something happening to the two princes, someone had suggested it was better to compete in polo. This would avoid their relationship from being damaged and also avoid any accidental injuries.

That subordinate had good intentions. He didn't expect this simple matter to result in many disputes due to their animosity. The crown prince was mentally unstable and was naturally not the Jin Prince's match. He had to suffer silently quite a few times, and those won't be mentioned in detail.

On the day of the match, the crown prince had started off in the lead. However, the Jin Prince's team caught up from behind and was ahead by four goals at the end of the first half. At the start of the second half, the Jin Prince's team was leading once again. Perhaps out of impetuousness, or due to some other thoughts, or perhaps it was merely an accident, the crown prince actually rammed the Jin Prince's horse with his own, causing the Jin Prince to be sent flying.

The crowd was in uproar.

The Jin Prince's injuries weren't light. Although his life wasn't in danger, his leg had been broken.

No one expected a polo match to end up this way.
It was inevitable for light injuries to occur during polo, but these people were all skilled horsemen, and knew to control themselves. Who would have expected the crown prince to go crazy and ram the Jin Prince?

The Jin Prince was carried to the Chunluan Palace to be treated. Emperor Xi didn't spare the crown prince a glance before storming off.

Everyone on the field knew that the crown prince's situation was dire.

It was fine if the Jin Prince's leg could be healed. If an issue occurred, it would leave behind a thorn in the emperor's heart that couldn't be removed. The fact that the crown prince was so intolerant that he would disregard his brother's life over a mere polo match would constantly be on the emperor's mind.

Over half the imperial physicians in the imperial hospital had been summoned to the Chunluan Palace. From their examination, they concluded that the Jin Prince's leg would depend on how it healed. If it healed well, there would naturally not be any problems. If it didn't, it would remain a problem to some extent.

Emperor Xi declined to comment and invited Imperial Physician Zhou to take another look. The outcome was more or less the same.

"Royal father, don't blame the crown prince. He, he also didn't do it on purpose." The Jin Prince's face was pale as he spoke with a weak voice.