Chapter 176

The next day, the Yun Prince's family and Yan Mo went to the Zhenguo Duke Estate.

At this time, the estate was extremely lively. Shen Dong and his family had returned from the border. Shen Xuan, Shen He and Shen Qi had all returned from the Fu Province as well.
The entire estate was filled with laughter. This was the first time in many years the entire family had gathered.

Only when Shen He brought back his wife and children did Second Madam Shen know that her travelling son already started a family. She even had two grandchildren.

What else could she say about it?

Having wished for it until it became her nightmare, Second Madam Shen couldn't say anything. She only held her grandchildren and cherished them. Even her daughter-in-law's background wasn't a big deal anymore.

Actually, the Shen household's men usually married late. Most noble descendants married around seventeen or eighteen. The Shen household also didn't put too much emphasis on the women's backgrounds. From those of Shen Xuan's generation, Shen Xuan had married the daughter of a high-ranking officer in the Chaohu prefecture's navy. His two younger brothers, Shen Qian and Shen Kun, had both married daughters of high-ranking officers at the border.

They only cared about the person's character, and not the status. This was the most important thing the Shen household looked for in their daughters-in-law.

Actually, based on the Shen household's influence, there was no need for them seek power through marriage. The Shen household had always been faithful and independent officials. They were only loyal to the emperor. Alliances of marriage would only bring many troubles, and wouldn't be of much use.

Shen He's family had arrived in December. He had already told them about his various experiences one by one. This also included his wife Luo Qiong's identity, which he didn't conceal.

Initially, Second Madam Shen had felt a little dissatisfied. No matter how little they cared for background, the Shen household's men married women with pure backgrounds. Her son marrying the daughter of a pirate lord made her feel complicated. However, for the sake of her grandchildren, Second Madam Shen didn't make things difficult for Luo Qiong.

After getting to know her, she realized this woman was well-educated, warm, kind and sincere. Second Madam Shen ended up liking her and their relationship grew closer and closer. Now, she viewed her as her own daughter, and even her son was brushed aside.

On this day, Qi Ran had brought Shen Yi Yao and the twins to the Zhenguo Duke Estate as well. Along with Luo Huai Yuan's family and Yan Mo, there were four tables set up just for lunch.

The Zhenguo Madam was all smiles. Seeing the house filled with the younger generation, she felt unprecedentedly happy. The Zhenguo Duke was the same way. The Shen household's people had always shouldered heavier burdens compared to others, and it was rare for them to gather like this. Now that the entire family was together, it was naturally a wonderful matter.

The Zhenguo Duke wasn't able to show that he was moved like his wife, but from his large smile it was clear his mood was pretty good.
After the banquet, the men gathered together and chatted about everything and anything.

They spoke of the current circumstances and also the outlook for the future. The women gathered together and talked about matters women usually talked about. The younger generation played together. Jian'er was one of the youngest present. Normally he tagged along behind his sister and muddled about.

Seeing several older brothers today, he was very excited.

During this time, the matter of Shen Qi's marriage was brought up. Shen Qi blushed and kept saying "no rush, no rush", but Shen Xuan revealed he had someone he was interested in back at the Fu Province.