Chapter 169

Not only did Empress Xiao invite the imperial medical center's Chief Bai and several of the elders, she also invited the court's two senior ministers.

The left minister Lin Jian had been an official for several decades. The prestigious Lin family behind him had been officials generation after generation ever since the founding of the court. The right minister Xu Cheng was the pillar of the commoner faction. He was upright and plainspoken, an honest official who loathed immorality, and was deeply respected by those in court. These two basically represented the two factions within the court. One represented the noble households and the other represented the commoners.

It goes without saying why Empress Xiao invited them.

Emperor Xi lay upon the enormous royal bed in the inner hall. His breathing was even, and if it weren't for his pale face they would have thought he was merely sleeping.

Empress Xiao stood by the royal bed and said: "Imperial Physician Zhou is a physician who is admired by his majesty himself, and had always been responsible for his treatments. This seat felt that his majesty had to have a reason for his trust, and thus never thought about bringing in other imperial physicians. Who would have thought some vile people would dare to spread rumors harming this seat and the crown prince. In order to prove our innocence and remove the source of rumors, Chief Bai and the other two imperial physicians have been invited to examine his majesty along with Imperial Physician Zhou. May the two ministers please serve as witnesses."

Minister Lin cupped his hands, "Empress's considerations are thorough."

Minister Xu said: "Empress is wise. This is the proper way of doing things."

They spoke at the same time, and their character was apparent from their words. Minister Lin was from an aristocratic family, and his words were always a little restrained. Minister Xu on the other hand spoke much more clearly.

Empress Xiao nodded with a smile, and indicated for the physicians to go ahead with their examination.

After they finished, they went and discussed on the side for a bit. Chief Bai then stepped forward to report: "Imperial Physician Zhou's diagnosis was correct. His majesty truly suffered from a flare up of medicinal impurities. In fact, his majesty's royal body had already shown such signs in his earlier years. At that time, his majesty heeded our warnings and stopped taking pills. Unfortunately there were already too many impurities accumulated within his body. It isn't apparent if they remain dormant, but the moment they flare up it would cause immediate collapse. This time he's unconscious because his royal body is overly frail. By nursing him slowly, he can still wake up. It's just the timing isn't easy to grasp. It could be three days, but it could also be three months."

"Then his majesty's health has some major issues?" Minister Xu asked.

Everyone naturally understood what he meant by major issues. He was asking if Emperor Xi would pass away.

But this sort of thing couldn't be directly stated.

Chief Bai could only smile bitterly and say: "Superior Xu, it's not that this lowly official isn't willing to say it clearly. It's that this thing isn't clear to begin with. In theory, his majesty shouldn't have reached such a stage, but as of now no one dares to speculate the outcome."

Minister Xu nodded, and didn't continue to make things difficult. However, his snow white brows were furrowed.

"Imperial Physician Zhou has been responsible for his majesty's health all this time. Can we continue to leave it up to him?"

Everyone knew why they were all gathered here today. It was to see if Emperor Xi's condition had anything to do with the crown prince and the empress. Since so many imperial physicians had verified it, there clearly wasn't much anyone else could say about it.