Chapter 174

News came from the capital that the second prince, the first child the Jing Emperor had after his ascension, was born.

The second prince, the eldest prince and the eldest princess were all born from the same mother. They had come from the prime senior concubine's stomach.

This prime senior concubine wasn't simple.

When they were still in the capital, Luo Huai Yuan had told Yan Yan about her. He said this prime senior concubine was the little beauty the Jing Emperor had kept in the golden house back then.

Yan Yan had met her once when the former emperor passed away. At that time she was still Goodwife Tao, and not yet the prime senior concubine. She carried her pregnant stomach while mourning. The delicate little person carrying such a large stomach looked very concerning. Before long, news came that Goodwife Tao's pregnancy didn't look good and there was a risk of miscarriage. For the sake of the child, the Jing Emperor exempted her from the funeral rites.

The first child born after his ascension naturally drew everyone's attention.

Since Luo Huai Yuan's relationship with the Jing Emperor was pretty good, and he was also his subordinate, he should be sending congratulatory gifts as a vassal prince. Luo Huai Yuan didn't plan on being an exception and carefully picked out a few things and sent them to the capital with his congratulations.

Yan Yan had wondered why the Jing Emperor only conferred the woman he loved a title of senior concubine. Although she didn't really understand their relationship, no matter how she viewed it this prime senior concubine meant a lot to the Jing Emperor.

Even without mentioning her being "kept in a golden house", the Jing Emperor had few children, and they had all come from the prime senior concubine's stomach. The original crown prince consort, the current empress, was still surnamed Xiao. Others might not be aware, but Yan Yan knew that the fourth and fifth princes who were shunned as children hated the surname Xiao. This was thanks to the former Empress Xiao, the current Royal Concubine Xiao. Furthermore, rumor had it that this Xiao-shi wasn't liked by the Jing Emperor. Since this was the case, why still confer Xiao-shi as his empress?

Towards her doubts, Luo Huai Yuan laughed and didn't explain. He merely told her to wait a couple of years and see.

Yan Yan scoffed at seeing her man act profound. Luo Huai Yuan couldn't endure being looked down upon by his wife and immediately ended up explaining. He said the prime senior concubine's birth was too lowly.

The Jing Emperor's foundations weren't stable yet so he might as well confer Xiao-shi as empress to calm everyone's hearts. This prevented the nobles and officials from making trouble. He also made fun of the Jing Emperor, saying that someone cold on the outside yet warm on the inside like him would definitely clear the way for his darling in the end.

Luo Huai Yuan was quite earnest in the beginning but revealed his vulgar nature towards the end of the explanation. He winked and chuckled, saying "you understand" with his expression.

This won't be mentioned for now. This was just a brief interlude in the Yun Prince and his wife's daily life. Their main task was still to help Luo Huai Yuan lose weight.

Luo Huai Yuan hadn't viewed it as such, but Yan Yan had set her heart on it. From her serious appearance, it seemed she was dead set on having him lose weight.

As the saying goes, those above may plan and those below will plan accordingly.

Who was Luo Huai Yuan?
In terms of cleverness, even ten Yan Yans weren't his match.

Seeing that acting shameless and playing dead wouldn't change her mind, Luo Huai Yuan could only try something else. He decided to find something for Yan Yan to do.