Chapter 175

Former Concubine Ma was old and wasn't suited for such long journeys. Therefore, Luo Huai Yuan only brought Yan Yan and the children this time.

When they arrived at the capital, it was the twenty-third of December.

They rested at the Yun Prince Estate for a bit before they went to pay respects at the palace.

The Yun Prince went to meet the Jing Emperor. In theory, Yan Yan should be greeting the empress in the Fengqi Palace, but the empress had contracted a foul illness. This was known to all so she was exempt.

Luo Huai Yuan didn't linger in the palace. After his meeting, he took his wife back to the estate. Afterwards, a large amount of bestowals were sent over from the palace, signifying the emperor's regard of the Yun Prince Estate.

Actually, based on Luo Huai Yuan and the Jing Emperor's previous relationship, there was no need for such a show. However, society was structured this way and they had to follow convention. The Yun Prince was a vassal prince after all and depended on the current emperor for his meals. The Jing Emperor expressing that he valued the Yun Prince would make others not dare take him lightly.

Who didn't know that the Yun Prince and the Jing Emperor's relationship wasn't shallow? Ever since he ascended, the Jing Emperor had repeatedly demonstrated his favor. This astonished everyone and they couldn't help but sigh about the unpredictability of life. Who would have thought that of the two spurned princes, one would become the emperor and the other would be greatly favored. Of those who everyone had their eyes on before, two were dead and one was crippled. The crippled one was currently like an invisible person.

From the looks of things, as long as he knew his place, he could probably live in peace.
This won't be mentioned for now. After the Yun Prince's family arrived, the Qi Prince and his family also entered the capital.

Ever since the Jin Prince died and the former emperor was buried, the Qi Prince rarely appeared before others. This was his first time returning to the capital every since the Jing Emperor ascended. This was thanks to the Jing Emperor's grace. During the former emperor's funeral, the QI Prince hadn't been summoned back due to what he had done. This time's summons exhibited the new emperor's benevolence and was also to let him pay respects to the former emperor's grave.

Having not seen the Qi Prince in a while, he seemed to have become a different person. He was no longer high-spirited and his face was instead downcast. Although he wasn't old, the hair at his temples had whitened. It was clear that the Jin Prince and Senior Concubine Xu's deaths had struck him quite a blow.

Seeing the Qi Prince like this shocked Yan Yan a little. The unreasonable third prince from long ago who liked calling her violent girl was gone. In his place was this taciturn and grizzled middle-aged man.

The Qi Consort followed behind the Qi Prince. She was a small and frail girl, and seemed very timid. She shrunk behind the Qi Prince and after paying respects to everyone, she lowered her head and no longer spoke.

"Everyone, be seated. " The Jing Emperor said.
Today was New Year's Eve. The Jing Emperor had organized a banquet in the Zhaoyang Hall to entertain everyone.

In attendance was the Jing Emperor, the prime senior concubine, crown prince Luo Zhuo, eldest princess Luo Yi and the Jing Emperor's three concubines. Because the Xiao Empress had health issues, she wasn't present. Then there was the Yun Prince's family and the Qi Prince's family, as well as the former crown prince's little heirs.

This was the first time Yan Yan saw the former crown prince's sons. They were all young, between seven and ten. After the Jing Emperor ascended, he didn't mistreat the crown prince's women and children. They received their proper titles, but since the little princes were still young, they had yet to be given vassal states.