Chapter 179

Now that the matter was settled, everything was easy to arrange.

Although Shen Yi Yao was a little unhappy her son had picked a girl with an average background, she naturally wouldn't say anything since he and her daughter had chosen. She wasn't someone who liked imposing her will on others.

Everything proceeded as per convention. The next day, the Yan household's matchmaker came to the door.

First came the matchmaking, then the inquiry of name and birthdate, the small gift of fortune, and the completion of the process commonly known as betrothal gift.

The day the betrothal gifts were sent over, the alley where the Han household resided was exceptionally lively. Red streamers were scattered throughout the alley and the sound of firecrackers rang continuously. Carriages covered in red silk filled with betrothal gifts entered their gates like a steady stream. It was extremely grand.

This alley was mostly filled with minor official households around the sixth and seventh rank.

Seeing the Han household's auspicious occasion, people inevitably asked about it. They naturally found out which household the Han household was getting into a marital connection with.

It goes without saying they all expressed their congratulations, saying that the Han household's eldest miss was a blessed person.
Wasn't this the case? To be connected to the Zhenguo Duke and the Yun Prince, Official Han was certain to rise up rapidly!

There were many envious and jealous people. The Han household's eldest miss was rather famous in the area due to her insistence on marrying someone who didn't take concubines.

Although people didn't say anything openly for the sake of face, there were quite a few who made fun of Han Shu privately. They all felt she was crazy to spread such grand words, and would definitely become an old maid who couldn't get married. Unexpectedly, she ended up with a great marriage.

The nearby households' madams and misses all came to get information out of Han Shu's mother.

Han Shu's mother was an honest person and they soon got the information they were looking for. Only now did they realize the Han household actually didn't have any hidden backing. This marriage was purely coincidental.

They had to lament that fate was unpredictable. They could only say her ancestors' must have done some good for green smoke to be coming out of their graves.

Once the betrothal gifts were sent, what came next was to fix a wedding date.

Because both sides weren't young anymore, they decided to get married before the end of the year. The date would be the eighteenth of November.

The groom's side didn't have any problems. With the Zhenguo Duke Estate, Yun Prince Estate and the Qi Estate helping, it was possible to finish arranging everything before the wedding. The bride's side however was a little rushed.

Luckily the Han household had started saving up for Han Shu's dowry since she was young. After so many years, they had saved a good amount. Along with having the Yan household's betrothal gifts to supplement a little, they were able to put together an extremely respectable dowry.

It's just that they probably couldn't make a dignified set of furniture prior to the wedding.
Regarding the furniture, normally when girls got married people would be arranged to get the measurements of the groom's residence in preparation for making furniture.

Some meticulous households would gather precious lumber in advance because such things weren't produced in the capital. The best quality lumber wasn't always available and needed to be purchased from the south.