Chapter 173

Former Concubine Ma didn't think she would be able to leave the palace one day.

She had entered the palace when she was eight, and she was now over forty. She had lived her entire life as a woman in the palace, from when she was young and immature through maidenhood and then past her prime.
Many people said she was blessed.

This was truly the case.

A palace maid's life wasn't as great as it seemed on the surface. It was one thing to be beaten, but it wasn't rare to lose one's head either. Palace Maid Ma had been graced by the former emperor back then and gave birth to the fourth prince. For a palace maid, this was truly ascending the heavens.

At least this minor servant was able to become a mistress.

However, from the very beginning, Palace Maid Ma didn't actually want this blessing. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to go against fate and could only accept it silently.

After giving birth to the fourth prince, every day was a struggle and she lived in fear. Everything she did was to help her and her child survive. This thought helped her get through things in the beginning. After her son matured, he started having his own opinions.

When the fourth prince left the palace, grew up, got married and had children, Former Concubine Ma kept watching silently from afar. Although it wasn't easy for mother and son to meet, it was enough for each to know the other was well.

Former Concubine Ma expected to live out her remaining days in the palace. Unexpectedly, her son wanted to bring her out one day.

The new emperor was a benevolent one. Former Concubine Ma thought this as she was moved to tears.

She didn't realize how much effort Luo Huai Yuan had spent to be able to bring her out of the palace.

She stepped out of the courtyard she had lived in for a long time and got on a carriage. The carriage slowly drove out of the palace. What was it like outside the palace? Former Concubine Ma had already forgotten. However, she felt it was definitely better than inside it.

After arriving at the Yun Prince Estate in the capital and seeing her grandchildren, Former Concubine Ma cried once again. When Luo Huai Yuan and Yan Yan went to pick her up, she had already cried once. Seeing her cute grandchildren, she couldn't help do so again.

Ever since Niu Niu and Jian'er were born, Former Concubine Ma only saw them once. It was during the funeral of the former emperor when Luo Huai Yuan brought his family back to the capital. At that time, the palace was in mourning for the former emperor. Niu Niu and Jian'er wore hemp mourning apparel and was being led around by the adults. Former Concubine Ma also had to weep for the former emperor and merely had a rushed meeting.
Seeing them now, she couldn't get enough of them.

Niu Niu was already seven and could be called a young lady. She was able to understand reasoning and logic. She knew this former concubine was her own grandmother. Seeing her younger brother wanting to shrink back when being held fast by their grandmother, she immediately gave him a glare.

Jian'er immediately became obedient.

Jian'er also knew this was his own grandmother, his dad's mother. However, he was being held fast in the middle of the courtyard while she stood and cried. He inevitably felt a little embarrassed.

"Mom, enough. Let's go inside first." Luo Huai Yuan said.

Only now did Former Concubine Ma realize she had lost her composure. She wiped her tears and let the others escort her inside.

She hadn't brought many people from the palace this time. There was only the palace nana who had served her for a long time. There should have been some personal items and necessities but Luo Huai Yuan had said to leave them behind. Everything would be purchased anew. She only brought two chests.