Coach

Elenis Pov

It's the next morning . The day after my delightful conversation with Ms Perry. 

Not. 

Archie and Carmen spent the entire night at my house trying to help me figure out what to do. 

Archie told me about all the different people on the team. The things coach does and doesn't like and the things I should say and shouldn't say. He told me about the group of Seniors I should steer clear of and he told me that he would put in a good word for me among the other Juniors on the team. He even wrote out a schedule of the training days and the game days. 

I'm very grateful. 

Carmen stayed the night because I was really anxious and couldn't bare the thought of being alone without another human ( I had muffin of course but she can't exactly give me advice). 

I'm mid doing my hair in the morning when Carmen lets Archie in. They are sitting downstairs waiting for me. I run down and we leave. Carmen has before school tennis training and of course I have to go to my first session with the football team. Lucky me. Not. 

I'm dressed in my gym gear ready for whatever I'll have to do. Myself and Archie walk towards the pitch and that's when I see the coach. 

He is very tall with white hair and a grumpy face. I would say he is in his mid to late 60s. He is dressed in the team kit and he is already barking orders at all the players.  

When we walk to the pitch I go up to him to introduce myself. 

"Hi there I'm Eleni" " Hopefully Ms Perry told you about me, im here to help out for the rest of the year. She told me I should just wait until you tell me what to do and then I can do it for you" 

"To be honest, whatever your name is, I don't care why you are here, you will do as I say and you can address me by coach" 

"Oh ok im sorry". 

No response. I hate this already. 

After standing around awkwardly watching everyone do their warm ups I am told to go to the sports office and take down all of the injuries people are starting with this season. 

Great. 

That sounds like something I can actually do. I run into the office and grab a notebook and pen. 

The players are all in a circle stretching so I decided I will just go around one by one and ask them. 

Archie - no injury 

Oliver - no injury 

Conor - twinge in his shoulder 

Harry - sore calf muscle

I feel like i was going good, until I got to one of the seniors. Jake I think his name is. 

"Hey, coach was wondering if you are starting with any injury's this year"

"Why would I tell you, you little fucking bitch".

Everyone laughs (minus the juniors on the team) Tears well in my eyes as I try my very best to hold them back. As I go around and ask the rest of the seniors every single one ignores me like I'm not even there . What did I do wrong. How was I actually going to get through the rest of this year. 

Coach blows his whistle and everyone runs to the side of the pitch. He gives them a big long talk about how the season is going to go and who would be on the starting team for the first game on Sunday. I just sit there listening. 

Finally coach blows the whistle for the end of the training. The minute I hear the whistle I leave. I don't care if he has anything to say to me. The training is over. I can leave. 

Carmens Pov

I'm sitting in English with an empty spot beside me. I'm waiting for Elle. She's late. Which is very not like her. 

Then in she walks. Red eyes and pale face. My poor baby. 

"Oh Eleni it seems you have decided to grace us with your presence this morning have you" the teacher comments whilst staring at her. 

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to be late" 

"Well you are, sit down right now" 

Eleni sits down. Silence. She doesn't say a word. 

"Aww Elle baby what's wrong" 

"Practice this morning didn't go so great" 

"Oh no really"

"Ye I don't really wanna talk about it" 

"Elle that's completely fine we can talk later if you want" I say squeezing her hand. She squeezes back. 

It hurts me to see Elle like this because she normally has a big bright smile on her face. I thought school would help her after the terrible summer she had.  It would be something else to think about, but it seems that's not the case. 

We walk out of class and into the corridors on the way to our lockers. I see Archie on the way and run over to ask what happened. 

"Archie what the fuck happened to Elle this morning"

"The Seniors were being their usual asshole selves" he says while rummaging through his locker. 

"Shit" "She has been crying her eyes are all red" I tell him. 

"Oh really I had no idea she just left straight after training" 

I look around and see Elle sitting with Juliet, Sara and Allie. I kiss Archie goodbye and run over to the girls. 

Eleni's Pov

I'm still really upset about this morning but I'm trying to forget about it. It shouldn't be making me so upset. Maybe I should have thought it was funny. I mean everyone laughed. 

It's the last class of the day. History. I walk in to find there is only one seat left. Right next to Oliver. I walk in and sit down. I don't bother saying anything because I know he doesn't like me so I won't get a response. 

Turns out we have to do a project with the person we are sitting beside . Oh boy. 

"Hey Oliver I was thinking we could do our project on the Romans and we can use my house if you want it's always empty so we can do whatever time suits you" 

"K" is all I get before he walks out. 

Okay then. 

I meet up with Carmen and we wait at Archie's car so we can drive home. 

He drops me off and I wave goodbye to them both. 

I walk in take off my shoes, hang up my coat, pick up Muffin and walk in to the living room and there she sits. Staring back at me. I freeze. 

My mother.