Chapter 2

Bai Yue stepped out of the hospital's main entrance, lifting his gaze to the glaring sun, squinting almost reflexively. The morning had been cool, prompting him to don a jacket, but now, as noon approached and the sun reigned supreme, the heat made the choice seem overzealous.

He unfastened his buttons, about to shed his uniform, when suddenly a figure darted out from behind a pillar.

The figure lunged forward, clutching at his arm. "You're finally out; I've waited for you for half an hour!" The speaker was an omega, dressed in a school uniform identical to Bai Yue's. Cute, with a plumpness that spoke of good nourishment.

Bai Yue apologized, "Sorry, the line was too long. I should have told you to go back first." Li Ren stuck out his tongue, "Going back would just mean more study time. I was waiting to have lunch with you. Let's hurry, it'll get crowded soon."

Bai Yue was pulled along down the stairs to the hoverbus stop. The hoverbus, a common mode of transportation in the empire, wasn't as fast as personal vehicles but had the advantages of convenience and affordability.

Li Ren, ever the chatterbox, didn't stop talking once they boarded the bus: "After we finish the exams, Shang Yu Fei should be on summer break, right? When's he coming back?" Bai Yue shook his head, "Don't know, he didn't say."

"He didn't say?" Li Ren was puzzled. Remembering the rumors swirling through the class, he exclaimed, "Could it be true? Did you guys... break up?" Bai Yue was baffled by such rumors. Yet, seeing his friend's dramatic reactions was amusing, so he silently turned to gaze out the window, leaving the question hanging.

The hoverbus journeyed for a few miles, stopped, and a throng of passengers boarded. Li Ren, thinking he had hit a nerve, felt a twinge of guilt: "I... I was just speaking without thinking. Don't be sad, okay? There's plenty of fish in the sea. A good-looking omega like you will surely have loads of excellent alphas chasing after you."

Bai Yue remained silent, prompting Li Ren to grow even more anxious: "You know what, let's go drink at noon. Drown our sorrows in alcohol. We can skip the afternoon classes; I'll keep you company."

Bai Yue confessed, "I've never drunk before."

Li Ren tried to reassure him, "Come on, there's a first time for everything. It's like a beverage. Drink, have a sleep, and forget all your troubles..."

As he rambled on, Bai Yue finally turned to look at him, his eyes squinting in his usual smiling manner.

Bai Yue shared a memory, "Last time, Uncle Li mentioned buying a case of beer, but it was gone in a few days. He asked if I knew anything about it."

At this, Li Ren fell silent, his chubby hand wiping the cold sweat from his forehead.

Bai Yue chuckled, "Yu Fei and I are fine."

The little chubby boy brightened, "Really?"

Bai Yue nodded.

"Why did you scare me then? I thought he had fallen for someone else after going to some other place," Li Ren muttered under his breath, then cautiously asked, "So, what did you say about my dad?"

At this moment, the bus came to a halt once more. Several students wearing the same uniform as Bai Yue stood up and alighted from the bus in an orderly fashion.

Bai Yue also stood up: "Let's go, we've reached our stop."

"Hey, wait, what exactly did you say? You didn't sell me out, did you?!"

Li Ren hurried after him.

Nearby Luo Hua High School, there were many restaurants that were both affordable and popular among the vast majority of students. It was peak dining time, and almost every restaurant was bustling with people.