Chapter 8 - New Faces*

A/N: This does not contain sexually explicit content, but does hint at topics that are related to sexual assault and abuse. But she IS NOT raped or sexually assaulted in this chapter -- there are just other characters that do things similar to that.

~~~~~

Gwendolyn

Drip. Drip. Drip.

I slowly drifted to consciousness as the constant sound of dripping water filled my ears. My eyes cracked open and it took a few seconds for my surroundings to become clear.

I was in a cold basement with gray, cement walls. There were small windows lining the tops of the walls, allowing the sunset to cast a soft, orange glow into the gloomy room.

Right across the room was a titanium door with a hatch towards the top. 

My hands felt exceptionally cold and I noticed the shackles cuffed to my wrists that were bolted into the wall I was leaning against. I still had on the dress I was wearing earlier tonight, but it did little to bring me any form of warmth in this dungeon of a room.

I chose to focus my attention on the windows and the barely there sliver of grass I could see, trying to pull my conscious mind away from the reality I was facing right now as best as I could.

All too soon, heavy, thundering footsteps got louder and louder as they reached the outside of the door. The hatch was still closed, so I couldn't see anyone, but that quickly changed when the handle slowly turned and the metal door creaked open on its rusty hinges. 

A man walked in, and he looked to be the same person that held the cloth over my mouth and stole me out of Caspian's car, except his mask was gone, a stony, calculating face in its place. His lips were pressed into a thin line, his dark, cobalt blue eyes squinting as they ran over the length of my body. He was wearing a black, cotton shirt and armored jeans.

It was when he looked over me that I decided to finally glance down at myself. There were cuts and bruises scattered everywhere, and a chunk of glass was wedged deep into the side of my stomach. I couldn't tell exactly how far in it was, but it seemed like it was the only thing preventing a flood of blood from racing down the side of my body, despite the dark red stain on the fabric surrounding it.

Before I could react, before I even noticed, my assailant crouched down in front of me, his face inches from mine, and pulled out a key small enough to fit into the lock of my shackles.

He took his time unlocking the cuffs, and when I was finally free, a bright red, soon-to-be-purple bruise revealed itself from where the cuffs had been.

I used my hands to rub the skin of my wrists, relishing in the feeling of finally being able to move them without anything in their way.

The man wrapped his large hand around my bicep and pulled me up to my feet, the ache in my muscles becoming apparent as I slowly stood, a grimace crossing over my face, my eyelids squeezing together in pain.

He began to walk in the direction of the door, and I tried my best not to trip over myself as he dragged me to the entrance of the room, his hand coiled tightly -- mercilessly -- around my arm.

As we walked out into the hallway, the bright white lights blinded me, and I swiftly bowed my head, my hands covering my eyes, trying to shield myself from the brightness.

A few moments passed, and I pulled my hands away, my eyes mostly adjusted to the sudden shift in light.

We turned into another cold, gray room, but this one had a long, rectangular table in the center, and a clothing rack on one side of the room, with a vanity on the other.