Chapter 16 - Old Wounds

Gwendolyn

I felt a cocoon of warmth around me, and it made me feel like there was a hearth holding a fireplace that was ablaze inside my chest. It was a comforting kind of warmth, much like the one you experienced when you'd bury yourself under the covers as a little kid to hide from the monsters under your bed.

My eyes fluttered open, and as I looked around the cozy room, I remembered everything that had happened the night before.

I was laying on my side, so that my wound was facing up, and the sun shining through the window immediately made me close my eyes again.

Softly groaning, I brought my hands to my eyes in an attempt to shield them from the sudden light.

"Good morning, sweetheart," I heard Roman rumble from behind me. His arm -- which was laying across my waist -- tightened, and I noticed that the shirt I was wearing had bunched up in my sleep, meaning Roman's arm was stretched along the bare skin of my stomach. His thumb brushed the underside of my breast, and I grasped his forearm to keep him there. "It's so wonderful to see your gorgeous face."

I blushed and curled up even further in his embrace, my knees coming closer to my chest. "Thank you, Sir."

He pressed a tender kiss to my cheek, and I saw Atlas walking over to our side of the bed, already showered and dressed for the day.

As Atlas crouched down so that his eyes were at our level, I slipped a hand out from under the covers, wanting him to take it in his own. He did, and a feeling of affection washed over me as his large hand encapsulated mine.

"I'm happy to see that you're awake, baby girl," he told me. "Feel free to stay in bed as long as you need to. Caspian and I are about to go get some breakfast." He pecked the back of my hand with his lips. "Join us whenever you're ready, love."

"Okay, Daddy," I replied. "I will."

A proud smile spread across his face. "You're such a good little girl for us," he praised. As he straightened his legs to stand upright again, his hand slid out of mine, and he tapped the tip of my nose with his index finger.

I turned in Roman's embrace and burrowed myself into his toned chest as Atlas left the room.

We lay there for a while, just trying to soak in the incredible luck of our reality. 

"You have no idea how much we missed you, angel," Roman whispered. "How much we needed you." I felt his nose press into the crown of my head, and he took a slow, deep breath in.

"I'm here now," I affirmed. "That's what matters." Untucking my head from his chest, I let my forehead rest against his.

"Yeah, but..." he trailed off. I pulled my face away from him to look him in the eyes, brows furrowed. "We should've gotten to you sooner." I closed my eyes and pulled my chin down. "We should have been the ones to actually save you." His voice was shaky, and I opened my mouth to say something, but he continued. "Instead, we were beaten-up sitting ducks while Henry rescued us and you." I watched as a single tear slid down his cheek when his eyelids slammed closed. "I wish we could've done more. I wish we hadn't failed you."

I pulled my arms up and wrapped them around his neck, tucking his head under my chin. "Roman, Roman, Roman," I breathed. "You didn't fail me, my love." My shirt was getting damper by the second, and the trembling of his shoulders only did more to confirm the salty droplets rolling down his face.

"But, I--"

"Shh," I consoled. "You did what you could. That's all anyone can ask for." I ran my fingers through the dark locks of hair on the back of his head and pulled him away from my chest. His eyes were red and watery, the skin of cheeks glinting in the light from the wetness of his tears.