Chapter 10 - A Pyramid of Deception

Gwendolyn

The beeping sound plummeting into my ears reminded me of the dripping sound I had heard in my dungeon-adjacent room in the basement, but I knew that couldn't have been where I was right now. 

The room I was in must have been well-lit, because I couldn't be bothered to open my dry, green eyes to the bright light shining through my eyelids. But I figured opening them was inevitable at this point.

Slowly, carefully, I cracked open my eyes, and I noticed a leftover crust on my waterlines from the tears I'd shed earlier.

I laid in a comfy bed in a very bright, very white room. It seemed just like a room in a hospital, but something told me that I wasn't in an actual hospital right now. 

As my vision cleared, I was able to see the heart rate monitor on my right, which was beeping out a constant rhythm. 

There was tape of some kind wrapped around my forearm, and my eyes followed the tube peeking out of it to the IV bag hanging from its holder. There was also a thick, cushioned clip clasped onto my index finger.

I tried to move myself to sit up in the bed, but the second I did, I felt an excruciating ache radiate from my side.

The glass was gone, a large bandage covered with surgical tape in its place. It wasn't anywhere near as painful as it had been before, but it still hurt, nonetheless.

I was just getting used to my surroundings when the door clicked open and in walked my kidnapper...or was he my savior? Had he been the one to bring me here? Would I be dead right now if it wasn't for him?

"You're looking alive," his baritone voice rumbled out.

I stayed silent, scared of what would happen if I even tried to say anything, judging by the sandpaper-y feeling encompassing my mouth and throat.

He raised his hands in defense, having misinterpreted my silence for anger. "I simply mean that you look better than you did before."

Deciding that I was going to have to speak at some point, and that I was uncomfortable with him mistaking my emotions, I hoarsely croaked out, "Thank you."

"You're welcome." His tense body relaxed, and he slowly paced over to me, hands shoved in the pockets of his jeans. "I was worried that I hadn't gotten you here fast enough."

"And, where am I, exactly?" 

"The infirmary wing of the house."

Of course there's a fucking infirmary wing.

I slightly rolled my eyes, and he chuckled softly. There seemed to be a light air around us, one that hadn't been there before.

"Do you remember everything?" he asked me. I furrowed my brows for a split-second, but then it all came rushing back to me.

My parents. My mother backhanding me across the face. Collapsing in the middle of the hallway.

It suddenly felt hard to breathe, and an uncomfortable tightness filled my chest.

"Y-yes, I do." I looked him in his amber brown eyes, and I could've sworn there was pity swirling in them.

I hated how helplessly vulnerable I felt. This man hadn't even known me for a full twenty-four hours, yet he'd already seen me at my absolute worst. Just then, I realized that I barely knew him.

"The doctor said--"

"What's your name," I whispered. I'd cut him off, and his mouth was still hanging open.

"I'm sorry?"

I narrowed my eyes into slits and hissed, "What is your name?"

His eyes shone in masked fear, almost as if he was scared of me.