Chapter 22 - My Heart Goes On*

CW: this chapter is smutttyyyy. I wouldn't necessarily say it's as long or as mainstream as chapter 17's smut...but it's probably much darker than what you may have read before. *no blood, weapons, or gross bodily fluids involved* I will mark where it begins and ends with an asterisk (*), though it should be pretty obvious when it starts 😏😏😏

~~~~~

Atlas

Floating in and out of consciousness had become a consistent and common occurrence ever since I'd been chained up in this dungeon of a room. Thankfully, I hadn't been getting many dreams or nightmares, but, much to my dismay, the aching pain throbbing throughout every muscle and joint in my body was unyielding.

Maxim hadn't been around that much since he'd brought me here, and for that I was glad. Many other seedy men, I thought, had been tasked by him to place a scrap of bread and a cup of water in my hands -- which were just about as useful as a dirty sponge right about now. 

Looking at the chain connecting my hands to the stone wall, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, trying not to focus on the absurdly unfortunate scenario I was currently residing in, and would reside in for who knows how long.

Some increment of time ago, I had lost most feeling from the hips down. It seemed that the ongoing pressure from the top of my body onto my legs and feet had presented a struggle. Go figure. 

All day and night, I had been hearing hushed voices and swift feet sounding from the hallway on the other side of that steel door. Nothing had been loud or clear enough for me to understand what was being said and who was saying it, but my new and equivocal pastime was to try and convince myself that they weren't discussing me or the people I love.

And if they were, I wasn't worried. Because no matter what, that simply meant they already had it coming.

~~~~~

Gwendolyn

Part of me didn't want to ever wake up. It seemed as though the only thing I could do in this moment would be to spend it dreaming about me and my men, living and existing happily together. The worst part was that deep down, I knew that wasn't the reality. 

Right now, my Atlas was under the roof of my sadistic parents, my Roman was hurting because of his mother's whereabouts being the hospital, and my Caspian was trying to stay as strong as he could for us. And what was I doing? Nothing. All I had done since arriving at the cabin had been sleeping and crying. Roman and Caspian didn't deserve that.

Opening my eyes, I found myself still laying against Caspian's chest. I felt his body shift, so I tilted my head up to look him in the eyes, and when my neck was craned enough, I found him already staring into mine.

He cocked his head to the side, and a soft smile graced his lips, a twinkle of something like love in his gray irises.

"Hi, princess," he rumbled. And for some inexplicable reason, the sound of his voice emitted a deep and shaky sigh from my lips. It almost felt like he was the glue holding me together personified. His voice was the sound of the most comforting music, his stable arms were the dam keeping the deep water from flooding everything in its path.

"Hi, Caspian," I breathed. I didn't mean for the words to be so formal, but I couldn't think of anything else to say. I turned in his embrace, my chest on his, and rested my head on his shoulder.

"Are you okay, little one?" Seeming to notice my sunken mood, he pressed a gentle kiss to the crown of my head and ran his fingers through the light brown strands of my hair.

"Mm-hmm," I hummed, hooking my hands under his arms and back around onto his shoulders. "I'm okay."

"That doesn't sound very convincing," he began skeptically," but Roman has some news that might cheer you up a bit."