Chapter 13 - The Prince and Me

Gwendolyn

It didn't take long for us to arrive at the Jett family house, which was just as big as I'd been expecting. It was larger than the house I'd been at previously, which I'd gotten a quick glimpse of  when we drove away.

The chauffeur had an emotionless face the whole way, but something about his demeanor gave off a nervous energy, like he was being held at gunpoint while driving.

I supposed that was Mrs. Jett's doing. 

She had been on her phone and tapping away the whole time, but it felt like her presence made an eerie, invisible fog disperse in the air around us, making my throat feel thick.

I had gotten out of the car and trailed behind Mrs. Jett, and I noticed her elegant and regal perfume, the kind that smelt both feminine and masculine, and the kind that definitely smelt more expensive than I had ever owned in my life.

There were two security guards posted outside the front doors, each with an earpiece in.

As we neared the doors, both guards swiftly stepped out and pulled them open for us, which made me feel like royalty, especially as my eyes came into contact with the lavish interior of the foyer.

My feet, which were still bare, hit a soft rug for a few steps before meeting a cold, hardwood floor.

I heard the doors close behind us, and Mrs. Jett kept walking, her blood-red heels clicking against the floor with every footfall, and she strode right between two grand, descending staircases.

"Come along, Gwendolyn," her tantalizing voice drawled. "I have someone I'd like for you to meet."

I followed her, and as she led me through the house, I noticed that there was an alarming amount of guards and maids scattered everywhere.

She didn't even need to slow down as two more guards, who were standing outside what I could only guess was her office, grasped a handle on either door and slid them open, just like the ones outside did.

As we entered, Mrs. Jett paced over to her office chair -- which looked throne-adjacent -- and sat down, nodding at me to have a seat in one of the chairs across from her. It was then when I noticed a large man, who must have been around my age, slumped in the other chair with his chin digging into his palm, facing away from me.

"Gwendolyn," Mrs. Jett began. "This is my son, Kieran." She raised a hand and pointed it in his direction. "Kieran, this is Gwendolyn." Her hand shifted over to me.

This was the first time I'd been able to get a good look at her face, and, for whatever reason, her matte lipstick -- which matched her heels -- and the far drawn-out cat-eye she was sporting terrified every bone in my body. Something about it was downright evil, and I felt like at any point she could snap her fingers and make my blood boil in an instant.

Her pearly-white teeth, showcased by an entrancing smile, only made that feeling worse.

"I wanted you two to meet before tonight so that you'd be familiar with each other to some degree." She folded her hands together, elbows resting on the desk like a child eager for food, and rested her chin on them.

I glanced over at Kieran, not understanding why she would want us to meet. What was going to happen tonight that made her think to do this?

His jade green eyes, identical to his mother's, stared back into mine, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up from the way he was looking at me.

The expression on his face was reminiscent of the look someone who had been deeply wronged would have.

His fists were clenched, his jaw flexed, and I could practically hear his teeth grinding against each other.