Chapter 16

Days passed and Alarice still hasn't gone to work. She used to reason out that she wanted to be with family and friends for a while as she has not seen them for years.

She was currently having a teatime with her friends in the garden of the moon palace. The moon palace was just beside the Sun Palace where the Emperor was staying and where the office is in.

She can't help but keep glancing at the Sun palace. In those days that she didn't come in the office, Nicholas not once tried  to visit her nor asked for her.

She smiled bitterly. What do you expect, Alarice? Just get over him!

"...rice! Ally!" Called her friend

She came back to her senses and looked at them.

"Huh?"

"We're calling you over and over again but you never answered." Said the girl with a very dark violet hair with light brown eyes.

Amara Dari Divata. The current duchess of her country.

She was one her friends back in her home country. Along with Odessa Riadel Fabroa who married the Grand Master of the Magician Tower in a neighborng country.   They didn't attend the ball as they were very exhausted from the long travel.

"Why?" She asked.

"Ally... Are you really okay?" Odessa asked

"I'm really fine." She said then forced a smile.

"We heard of the news and know that you are in a tight position." Olivia said worriedly

"I'm really good. Now, I'm trying to find a way to balance the power of the nobles but it's really a pain you know.."

"You know my family and Adeline's are always here to back you up." Olivia said

"Yes. Us too. We'll lend you our support." Amara said

She was lucky to have these friends and she was glad that they are all getting along well.

Adeline and Olivia's family are the only old nobles who remain formally neutral but their daughters is her friend so she knows she can have a bit of support from them.

"Speaking of. Where's Adeline?" Alarice asked

"That's the thing. She just disappeared last night after fighting with her brother." Olivia said

"And?"

"And you don't have to worry about her. She can handle herself." Amara assured and the three looked at each other meaningfully

"Oh-kay. You guys are acting weird."

"Nevermind about her. What we're saying is, isn't there another way to have the power balance back immediately? Prolonging it will not be good." Odessa said

She sighed. She can only think of one solution.

"There is." She said in a soft voice

"Then that's great! You just have to do it." Said Amara

"I can't. Well more like, I won't be able to."

"Why?"

She looked at Odessa. "Do you remember the herb that can be used as a contraception but if used for a long time then it'll lead to infertility?"

She looked at me and her eyes widened.

"No, you didn't."

"I did. Since the start of our marriage."

Odessa suddenly got up from her chair.

"Alarice! That's very dangerous! That herb didn't even have enough study and can melt your womb away!"

"I have no choice! I know it's reckless but that's the most potent medicine for contraception. I can't have an accidental baby if I was going to have a divorce after 6 years! It will be the child that'll have a hard time!" She defended

"But still, how can you do that to your body?! Do you feel any pain in your stomach?"

"I don't feel any pain but my period was so irregular that it barely come. I only get it twice a year at most."

"Oh my ghad!" Odessa said

Amara and Olivia was both worried and shocked.

"Did his Majesty knows about this?" Olivia asked

"He didn't. I don't see any need to tell him. I never wanted to have a child with him in the first place. So I thought it's going to be okay. I've been fine these past years and nothing really bad happened so if I just can't have a child so be it."

"Why are you discarding yourself so much?! What happened this past years that you're self worth is that low?! You're parents need to know this! You're going home with us!" Amara said and was about to stand up but she stopped her

"I'm fine, Amara. I just have to endure for another two years then I can go home. There are now little number of people that needed my help. I can't just abandon them."

"But what about you? You needed help, too! And you never, once tell us your burdens." Even the timid Olivia was shouting

"What happened to our proud princess that can't even let anyone take advantage nor dictate her?!" Odessa started crying.

This scene was such a mess. She must've really messed up really bad. But they're right, she got worse these past few years. Her only redemption is that after two years she'll be back home. She just wanted to stay a little longer with him. Just a little longer then she'll leave.

She wants to think that this is her payment for being greedy. Even though she knows of the tragedy that'll befall her once she fell on love with the Male Lead. She just can't help but love him.

She just wants to drown in this sweet poison for just a little longer then she'll be back home.

"Just let me be for a little longer. After that I'll leave. Please." She said as her voice cracked.

That's when she realized that her tears are flowing from her eyes. Her friends can only hug and console her.

"Please, Ally... Stop torturing yourself for someone not worth it." Odessa pleaded

"This is the last time, Odessa. For the sake of Mael and Naveen. Those children are just like my child too. They'll be the ones affected that most in this battle." She said

They all sighed and just hugged her tightly.

"Then please just go to a doctor, even if it's secretly so we can check your condition." Amara said

"Okay." She muttered

Alarice's aide Caleb was shocked from the things that he heard. He was ordered by the emperor to call for the Empress but he heard of this conversation instead.

He can't believe that Her Majesty did that. If it's loyalty, he doesn't want to tell the Emperor as it is what his Mistress wanted but it concerns her health.

"I apologize Your Majesty the Empress, but the Emperor needs to know of your condition."

--

Hi!! Author here!!

I just wanted to say HAPPY 500 READS!!! YEEEY!! 🎊🎉

thank you so much dear readers for paying attention to this humble work!!

I don't know if it's okay to mention you guys but I'mma still do it haha.

Thank you so much for voting in my story

mafia_writes
chucker_23
HeraZinque
Bluellehcim
WorWiz
cheskanobl
KzXriv
@/richelleoliveros258 (I don't know why but everytime I tried to mention you my Wattpad app just closes suddenly)

But yeah, thanks all so much!! And to my silent readers, I also appreciate you all! Thank you!!