Chapter 29

Everything's a mess. The prison cell was a sea of blood from the servants and the disfigured Viscount. The cell itself is a wrench.

In the middle of it all is a dangerously handsome man with his shining blonde hair and piercingly cold blue eyes. He was full of blood. The other servants ran away in fear.

But no matter how much he kills his bloodlust won't quench. The stabbing and suffocating pain won't go away. He's not contented with what those corpses experiences before death. The Emperor took a torch and throw it at them.

The fire slowly burned their bodies.

"I will make sure not even a single piece of you will be seen." He said breathing heavily.

The pain is still there. How can he alleviate this pain?

"What a mess." A soft voice said

Nicholas froze. A voice that was similar to the voice he wanted to hear. He looked at her direction. Black hair and light brown eyes. Although different shades from his beloved, the appearance is very similar.

Tears fell down from his eyes. Actually, one can barely tell if it was blood or tears.

Isolde Gabrielle de Arze. The queen of Las Islas and Alarice's mother.

"I hurriedly came hear when I feel that the thread of life of my daughter flicker. What happened?" She asked calmly

He was trembling. He never felt this way before. Embarrassment, sadness, shame, guilt, pain, agony. All of that is swirling in his head.

He dropped his sword. "I apologize. I failed to protect her." He said

"You never did protect her. She was never your priority to begin with." She said

Nicholas cannot utter a single word. What she said was right. He never prioritizes her as he always thought that she's strong enough to handle herself.

"Oh I'm not blaming you. It was my daughter's decision. Despite knowing that this may happen she still married you and she was always ready to accept the consequence. I love my daughter and I always wanted the best for her and always supports her. But now I'm kinda regretting it." She said

He was just bowing his head. He didn't know what to say.

"My daughter is not dead. Her soul was still wandering around. In particular, she was here all the time trying to stop you." She said

That's when Nicholas came back to his senses. He looks around hoping to see a singe glimpse of her but there was none.

"Are you sur-"

"I'm going to reconnect the broken thread of her soul and body."

Nicholas face brightens.

"You mean she can still be saved? I can still see her?" He excitedly asked. The pain in his chest is slowly Fading just from those mere words.

"Yes. It's still not her time anyway." She said

"Thank-"

"But I want to take her back. I'll bring my daughter home." She said

He was taken aback.

Take her back? But she can't leave my side. I don't know what will happen to me if she's really gone.

"What about Qashanna?"  Alarice voice rang into her ears.

Qashanna was someone who he worked hard for all his life to be freed. She was his friend, companion and lover ever since they were children.

His shackles to the Imperial throne and the Duke's grasp. He honestly wants to run away. There are lot of times that he wants to turn his back on her but he can't. Because he loves her. Because her change is not enough reason for him to leave her.

He should love her with all she is. That's what love is as per Alarice. And that's the reason why she never wanted to go between them. Alarice believes what they have is true love. But is it?

Is true love something that's supposed to shackle and suffocate you?

"Please lead the way."

He came back from his thought when the Queen spoke again.

"Y-you can't take her back." He said

"And why is that Your Majesty?" The queen asked with her back on him

"We have a contract. We can't just get separated. We are-"

"You are what?! I've had enough of you tormenting my daughter! I am a Mother and seeing her like that hurts me the most! I don't care about your opinion. I'm taking her back. His father and brothers will be here in a few days. We'll take her back."

"But this is her home. I am her husband."

"And I told you. I am her mother!"

"What if she doesn't want to go? What if she wants to stay? What if-"

"We'll just see if she still wants to stay. So please lead the way." She said with determination

He failed to say another word. Her determined gaze reminds him so much of Alarice. He resigned and show her the way.

When they were at his room. The Queen hugged her daughter.

"Sweety, we're going home now." She said

She was about to go near them but the queen spoke.

"Stay away from us. You're dirty."

He looked at his hands covered in blood. She's right. He is dirty.

Will Alarice still wants to be with him when she sees him like this? Will she still stay even if she died because of his indecisiveness?

Honestly, he's not confident enough. What will he do if she really left?

Are the iron bars underground strong enough to contain the people who has the blessing of spirits? Is he confident enough to go hand on hand combat with these people?

Ahh. He's disgusted to himself. How can he think of fighting against her family? But he's desperate to keep her.

He turn his back.

"Prepare a quick bath." He ordered the maid

He needs to cool his self first.

The queen was very much hurt with her daughters condition.

"How can you let this happen? Do you know how heart broken your Mom is when she saw your thread of l life weakens. Let's go back home now." She said as she uses her power to reconnect her thread of life.

Isolde was granted by the spirits the power to manipulate the thread of life. She can see different kind of threads in people. Some connected with other people depending on their relationship.

And the reason why she let Alarice marry Nicholas is because they are connected by the thread of fate. They are bound to be together.

She knows that the red thread of fate that connects them was strong and cannot be broken that easily. They are akin to soulmates.

But she is willing to break them apart if it means that her daughter will suffer like this.

After she reconnects the white thread of light of Alarice, her daughter groaned and slowly open her eyes.

"Welcome back my dear ." The queen said teary eyed.

Little did they know that the queen showcasing the power of the spirits will further make Alarice tied down in  Philleon Empire...