Chapter 45

Mael was in a dilemma. He watched as his father reads the letter he was about to send to Alarice.

He just discovered that his mother accidentally found out that Alarice was taking care of two children who were clearly of royal bloodline. Thus, she plans to kill them.

As not yo arouse suspicion that he already knows Qashanna's plan, he plans to sent a messenger pigeon to warn his Empress Mother about the situation but it was accidentally caught by Nicholas.

"Twins? What is this letter, First prince?" His father asked him holding the small piece of paper with trembling hands

They got caught. Should he lie and make up an excuse?

"Father, it's not what you-"

"Then what is it?!" He shouted

Mael closed his eyes tightly then sighed. It seems like there's no way they can hide it forever.

For the last three years, his father lived like a dead man. He barely eat nor sleeps. All he does is work and work and work.

He's like a machine whose only purpose is working. He haven't even shaved his beared and dark circles were under his eyes. His body lost lot of muscles and is becoming thinner and thinner.

The Empress Consort, who was now the only one in the harem cannot even urge him to regain his former self. The only times when he has shown a little smile is when his youngest brother visits him sometimes.

But that smile turns to a bitter one. Must've made him remember that though not directly, he was a reason why he failed to come fetch Alarice on the battlefield three years ago.

"They are your children, father. My youngest siblings." Marl started then finally revealed what transpired three years ago.

Nicholas was just quiet unable to fully digest everything all at once. He lost his strength in his knees and Mael helped him sit.

"They're alive?" He murmured

"They are. And now, mother also knew that they're alive. A maid of hers who she asks to go to the borders accidentally saw the twins in the middle of the forest." He said

Tears fell from Nicholas' eyes. From the feeling of betrayal and happiness. How can two contrasting emotions clash into tears?

"Father. I understand you're having a hard time digesting all of these but Empress mother and the twins were in trouble. Mother was out there to kill them." Mael said

Nicholas' expression turned dark. He's not going to loose any of them now.

"Order the knights to be discreetly dispatched on the borders where Alarice is. Call the maids to ask them to groom me." He said

"Really? You need grooming at this time?" Mael asked sarcastically

"I can't have my children get scared of my appearance on our first meeting, can I?" He said

--

Alarice was looking at the bowl of hot soup in her hands. She can't even process what's happening anymore.

Someone was out there to kill them and she doesn't know who. Then when she wakes up the next morning Nicholas greets her while being close to the kids.

Did she miss a whole year of time when she fell asleep?

"I'm sorry Empress Mother. I failed to immediately come into your rescue and even spilled the beans." Mael suddenly said

She held her forehead. She feels like she'll have a headache.

"Forget it. It must've been an emergency. So what happened?" She asked

They were currently in the middle of the Forrest. A maid from the Nicholas' party cook breakfast for them. Nicholas insisted that they eat first and rest for a while before setting on their journey.

"Mother knows about the twins. A maid accidentally saw them. She was the one who intends to kill you." Mael explained

She pursed her lips. The thing that she was most afraid of is happening. She didn't want this to happen.

"Empress Mother, I know you don't want to deal with the power struggle but you can no longer run away. I've collected enough evidence to take down my grandfather and our family. If that happens, I will probably be removed from the line of succession. Naveen can't be the heir. His grandfather was too mad from what happened to his daughter and greedy. It might lead to the imperial family's ruin. Only the twins are now eligible for the throne."

"But we don't care about those things. And you don't have to do all that. Your name will also be tarnished." She said

"But I need to. Empress Mother. I once told you, I'm afraid of the throne. Ever since I was a kid, my mom obsessively pushed the throne on to me, that I trembled everytime I thought of the things she does just so I could have something I don't want to. I'm still scared until now. I feel like sitting on a dirty pile of blood whenever I think of myself becoming the Emperor. Please, grant me my selfish wish. Save me from the throne." He pleaded

"What if none of my children wants the throne? Are you saying I should also push them to do something that they also do not want?" She asked

"Well, I'm only fifteen. I'm still a child, right?and those were adults problems. Didn't you say that let the adults solve those kinds of problems?" He said then smirked

"Really? You're going to use that card now?"

"You're the one who taught me those things. Besides you can always create more children until someone will be willing to take the throne." He joked

Alarice's face crumpled.

"Can we just pretend none of these happens? And the twins and I go back to my home country?" She asked Mael.

Although she knows that it will be impossible.

"What do you mean?" A voice from behind said

Alarice and Mael turn to that person.

"Do you really think I'll let you go? When you handed me the divorce paper, that will be the last time that you'll leave me. Once I caught you again, you can never leave me again." Nicholas said with his most serious expression while carrying the snoring Ember in his arms.

The scene was a bit dark but it's quite funny for Alarice.

Then without further argument, after a couple of days traveling the twins took their first step in their rightful place as the children of the imperial family.