Chapter 18

They stayed like that for a while outside the office. Alarice was buffled, she didn't know what to do. She didn't even know what's happening or why he's acting like that. She has so many questions in her head but she can't ask because His Majesty was holding her to the point of being almost unable to breathe.

She saw Caleb and Pierre inside the office. They were both looking relieve for some reason. She motioned them to get out so she can talk after Nicholas became more stable.

He should be happy by now. Why is he acting like this? He always loved his children.

"Your Majesty, please let's come inside. Mhh?" She said

He nods like a child but still haven't let her go yet. They went inside in that state and she just locks the door. They walk further until they can sit down but He was still hugging her.

"What's wrong Your Majesty?" She asked

She heard a snoring instead. She tried to see his face buried in her neck and saw him sleeping. She just sighed and lay down on the sofa while still hugging him so he can rest well. She played with his hair and hum a lullaby.

They stayed like that for a few hours.

--

Nicholas was having a good dream. He remembers when he first give up on trying to hate the Empress Regnant.

It was rainy day that time. The two princes was playing in the Sun palace waiting for their Empress Mother to finished her work.

Sometimes it baffles him how she close she has gotten to the two princes. Naveen was friendly but was spoiled and very demanding, Mael on the other hand was polite and reserve but he always has his invisible wall surrounding him.

They were in the office and as usual, no one was talking. They were just working.

There was suddenly a knock on the door. Then the two princes came in. They were probably bored by now.

"Empress Mother. Are you not done yet?" Naveen asked

"Not yet, sweetie."

"But we're hungry."

"You can ask the maids for snacks."

"Brother Mael and I wants to eat cupcakes made by you, please. It's been a week since we've been together." Naveen pouted.

He saw Alarice sighed looking at the papers in her table. He looked at Naveen and also sighed.

"Go and entertain the kids. Just ask Caleb to do some of your works." He said coldly

Alarice silently stood up and politely bow her head to him without saying anything before turning to the kids and smile sweetly.

"Let's go! What flavor do you want?" She asked then carry the young Naveen and held Mael's hand.

He looked at that beautiful picture. Even the mature Male became a child when in front of her.

After about an hour someone knocks at the door and Alarice came with a tray of cupcakes and tea.

"I've come to deliver this to you as instructions of the two princes." She said politely without smiling

"She's now the servant of the great demon king! So you should eat that, my grand general demon." The young Naveen said while holding a toy sword.

"It's tasty, Father. We made that together." Mael said gently.

"I might be overstepping my bounds but please play with the two princes for a while Your Majesty. They also need you attention. Just for a little while will be enough." Alarice said looking at him, still not smiling. Not once did she encouraged him to play with his sons but he always rejected it claiming that he's too busy. But now for some reason he felt cold and the tea looks warm. Besides he can't help but admit that he wants to see her smile for a little longer.

"Alright but just for a while." Her face lit up a little.

"You hear that?" She asked Naveen

"Yey! We've finally got the Grand general demon to our side. My right hand man prepare for battle!" He said and grab Mael's hand and ran towards the room their playing.

That was one of the firsts that he experienced with her. He first felt how it feels like to be a warm family just by playing a silly ass game. After all, he never get to experience such things. His father died early but he too never showed a fatherly side to him. Her mother was extremely busy and suffered depression from all the things that happened to them.

That's why he promised himself to love his children with all his might but he failed to let the children know that. When Mael is born a lot of things happened and he was very busy from fighting with Duke Elmea who tried to use his son to rise up once again. When Naveen is born, he was busy calming down the Empress Consort to prevent her to do any harm to the young prince. When he got to resolve those issues, the two princes were no longer a baby and was now awkward in his presence. He never get the chance to be close to them.

Their mothers were busy courting his favor using his children that he never get to experience the true bond with them. That's when he realized that maybe, a normal, loving, warm family was just really impossible for Royals.

But came a foreign princess who he was to marry. He saw how her parents worried about her. How her mother cried when he was about to leave the kingdom. And how her father glared at him for stealing his daughter. How she can casually hug and kiss her parents and brothers.

It was not impossible after all but why can't he have that? That's also the reason why he hated her. She has the things that he always longed for.

And that's also the reason why he took her as his wife. Maybe... Just maybe... If she came to the palace, some miracle will happen.

And it did. The empire prosper little by little, his workload was lessen a lot, Mael get to laugh and play like a child, and the spoiled Naveen learned how to compromise.

It's like she was a missing piece in this Empire. The commoners loved her and she has the support of the new nobles.

The power balance between the nobles and even commoners were firm because of her.

The twelve year old girl that she dances with on a whim because she looks cute constantly stealing a glance at him turned out to be someone that he badly needed. It turns out she was someone he can never let go of.

He opened his eyes when he smells the aroma of coffee.

"Oh you're awake Your Majesty. " A voice above his said said

He looked up to see Alarice.

"You were sleeping soundly so I can't wake you up. I ordered the maids to prepare some light foods and coffee Incase you woke up." She said

So the reason why he was sleeping soundly was because of her. He feels light and refreshed. He feels like he was dreaming a wonderful sight but can't remember what is it.

But it's okay. After all the most important thing is that she was here.

"You know... Your Majesty. I've thought a lot about what will we do about the problem in the power balance of nobles and I thought of a solution." She said

"What is it? Tell me. " He excitedly said. She really is like his miracle.

"Why don't you marry one of the daughter of the new nobles and take her as your concubine so you can have a child with her."

Her answer was the least he expected to hear. For a while there he feels something crumbling in the back of his mind.