Viral

Over the course of the fall and winter we had training every day to prepare for game season.  I am a backup center because our other center is a senior so she has seniority.

I attended all of Jason's football games and tried to keep up with my schoolwork, which got complicated.  I was pretty good at managing the little to no time that I had but I still hadn't learned to prioritize. 

When lacrosse season rolled around, I sat in the bench for most of the preseason and only went in if our center was tired.  Until during the playoffs, when she was hit really hard with a stick and went down.  She was taken out on injury and sent to the medical team.  I was beyond nervous and I could feel the discomfort of my teammates.  This was playoffs and we were losing. 

Play after play I wasted time and scored a few here and there.  I kept the ball in offensive territory to give the defense a break as best I could.  We had 30 seconds left and the score was tied, the other team called a timeout. 

The announcers were talking loud enough that I could hear them.  "Today, we are seeing history be made as freshman center, Violeta Kelce, seems to have the ability to win."  "That's right, no freshman center has ever won a playoff game.  She is going to be the one to watch for the next few years."

I was astonished that they thought I could win this.  I was just trying to go down fighting but, if they think I can do it, then I can.  The timeout was over and we took the field again.  Balls up.  I stole it and passed it to Kayley.  15 seconds.  she realized that I was wasting time.  So she passed it back as soon as I got open even though she had a clear shot.  5 seconds.  I scored.  We just won. 

Kayley ran over and started screaming.  We just won.  I just won. 

We went back into the locker room and everyone was excited and celebrating.  When I walked out I was wearing a Cincinnati sweatshirt and athletic leggings with a pair of purple Nike Metcons.  I saw the coach and Kayley standing outside the room.  "Violeta, you and Kayley have to get interviewed."

I followed Kayley and before we walked in the coach looked at both of us and said, "Don't rehearse what you're going to say.  You are both good players and just be respectful when talking about the other team."  We both agreed and we went in. 

We sat down across from the two announcers and we were on live tv.  "Good afternoon, Violeta and Kayley.  That was one hell of a game," the first announcer stated. 

"Yeah you two seemed to be an unstoppable offense," the second announcer commented. 

"It was definitely a roller coaster.  Violeta really stepped up and I think I speak for everyone on our team when I say that I'm proud of the way that game was played," Kayley spoke.  She had definitely been interviewed before. 

"Thanks, Kayley.  I just tried to keep the game competitive.  When I went in, we were down and my first goal was to make sure that we at least got close enough to start making strategic moves," I explained. 

"The two of you seemed to be on the same wavelength that whole time but you've rarely played together.  How is that possible?" The second announcer asked. 

"Well, I play my position by the book and I have played against and with Violeta enough during practice to make a good guess as to what's going through her head," Kayley explained. 

"I have a very interesting way of playing center and it drives most players crazy especially when they are playing against me but Kayley has always been pretty good at keeping up.  We sort of just go off whatever the other one is doing," I continued trying to actually explain why we worked well together. 

"It also probably helps that we're roommates," Kayley added and the announcers smiled a little. 

"So you two are pretty close then?" He asked and we both nodded.  "So how do you both feel about the two of you being front runners for rookie of the year?"  I didn't know that I was. 

"Honestly, I don't care if I get the award.  As long as every time I step off the field I'm proud of how I played, the awards don't matter," I responded. 

"I think that we both deserve it and so do so many other rookies so I'm proud to be nominated but it really doesn't change anything.  The awards are secondary," Kayley added. 

"Well it was nice meeting both of you, we will let you both get to the celebrating.  Good luck," the announcer concluded.  We both said thank you before walking away.  I went to look at my phone but it was dead.  By the time I ended back up in my dorm it was already night time so I put it on the charger and went to sleep. 

The next morning, I woke up late so I rushed to get ready and head out in my run before I had to get to my first class.  When I got to my class, I went to check my phone and saw that I had hundreds of notifications.  Clips from Kayley and I's interview and the game were going viral.  I had almost tripled my followers on all social media platforms. 

What happened to our promise Ms. Viral?