002

"Welcome to the Smart Girl's Podcast everybody," Jess announces, her voice filled with excitement.

"I'm Shay," Shay chimes in.

"And I'm Jess, and today we are talking about..." they say together.

"Crushes," they declare in unison.

"So, Crushes is a super popular book, The Smart Girl's Guide Books. And I would say it's popular because it really does address a lot of things that we feel growing up, dating, rejection, and other stuff," Jess begins.

"And all the things we're really curious about," Shay adds.

"Yes, that we're curious about. And I think our hope in having this conversation is we get to define what crushes are and explore how to handle them and make sure that people who are navigating this moment are feeling supported," Jess continues.

"We're gonna bring them in with our guests, and you'll see us talk about them throughout other episodes as well. So, I'm so excited for that. Plus, we have great experts and great guests who are gonna join us to help us get some good tips and tools, a little bit more advice and other perspectives on these topics. And to kick us off, we have an amazing guest today," Jess adds.

"Yes, we do. I will tell you guys about her. So today our guest is Aurora Bushnell. She is the sweetest human being ever. She's so talented, I love her so much, oh my gosh, she's the best. I met her when I was 15, she was 12, and yeah, please welcome her!" Shay introduces with enthusiasm.

"Hi, everyone, my name is Aurora Bushnell. Shay, love you, and Jess, it's so great to meet you," Aurora greets warmly.

"Jess, I wanna dive right into it and ask you, what is a crush?" Shay prompts.

"Very good question, Shay. Okay. So I would define a crush as a feeling that you get about somebody that can make you feel a lot of different emotions. It can make you feel excited. You could have a crush on their talent, you could have a crush on their kindness, but you... It's a special feeling. I think a crush is a sign of you liking something at a really big level. And that can come up at all different times in all different places," Jess explains.

"Yeah, totally. I think for me, the ways that I can tell I have a crush on someone is I get a little bit nervous," Shay adds.

"Yes. When I'm around them and I'm still like, I get all the nerves," Jess agrees.

"Little butterflies," Shay adds with a smile.

"A little butterflies for sure. I was gonna say that. And I kinda, I can't get my mind off of them. I just always wanna be talking to them. Always wanna be hanging out with them. And I find a way to bring up their name in nearly every single conversation that is like a massive one where I'm like, Oh my God, I think I may have a crush on them," Jess shares.

"See, this is why crushes are actually exciting. Because it does stimulate a little bit of like a fantasy, right? We might imagine what it would be like if..." Shay reflects.

"Daydream a lot," Jess agrees.

"Yeah. We daydream a lot about that person. We like to be around that person or we imagine we would wanna be around that person. So, actually that's a great point, Shay. Sometimes our crushes could be on people we really know. And sometimes they could be on strangers and people we don't really know. But I always think it's about what it brings up in you," Shay elaborates.

"Figuring out what you like and how it goes so much deeper than just what somebody looks like," Jess concludes.

"Absolutely," Aurora interjects, eager to join in the conversation. "For me, crushes are like this mix of excitement and nervousness, you know? It's like my heart skips a beat when they walk into the room, and suddenly, I can't seem to form coherent sentences."