Chapter 18 love

Dracula was away for most of the day, giving me enough time to form my plans on ways to drive him insane.
I snuck into his chambers to try and find atleast something useful for my plan.
His chambers were as strict and orderly as he was. Not a single object left unaccounted for, everything was in it's rightful place.
It was so tidy it made my room look like a dump. If I wanted him to be instantly mad at me, all I'd have to do is mess this place up. It was that easy.
I dug through his drawers, moving aside textbooks and papers, but nothing strike me as useful.
I searched his wardrobe next, but I knew I'd never find anything useful amongst his clothes. I sighed, taking a step back to take in the entire bedroom. That is when I spotted a slip of paper peeking out from underneath his pillow.
I hurried over to the bed, lifting up the pillow to examine everything under it.
There was a black leather diary, with a strap clipped around it. Some papers were scattered about, but I'm sure it's the diary that is most valuable. I took it up, carefully running my hands over the cover.
I never new he had a diary.
But then again, there's a lot of things I don't know about dracula..

I gingerly sat down on the bed. The diary was very old, and had many intricate designs on the cover. If I had to guess, I'd say he's had it for a couple hundred years, maybe more. He was very good at keeping things in it's proper form for a very long time. I could take his coffin for example, he's had it for centuries, yet it's still in good condition.
Mine has been left in the corner of my bedroom gathering dust and cub webs. I guess it's because I prefer a bed rather than be in an enclosed space.
Not that I'm claustrophobic or anything, I just love to feel the night breeze drift in through my window whenever I sleep.
Dracula is such an enigmatic person really,
I wonder if I'm mentioned in his diary, but given how invested he's been in my life lately, I wouldn't doubt it.
I unclasped the golden buckle, letting the strap fall so I could open the diary.
It had many pages, filled with many words. But unfortunately for me, those words weren't English or even french. It was all written in some kind of language I couldn't quite decipher. That meant he purposefully wrote it in, so that no one would be able to understand what it was. Well.. no one he wanted to understand. Surely mom and dad know this language.
It's a shame I never paid much attention to our home teacher, Arabella when she was trying to teach us different languages.
I could sure use her help in deciphering this language.
I let out a disappointing sigh. This whole new discovery deflated my once inflamed desire to go against my bother. What a pity.
I flipped through the pages, passing unknown words after unknown words.
I was nearly to the end of the book when my eyes caught an English sentence.
I halted, feeling quite certain I had seen the clear and vivid word 'love' on that page.
I flipped back until I found it, grinning happily when I saw that I was right.

'what shall I do?
I love him. I love all of him, I cannot bear losing him, even though I already have. He hates me, he detest me, his need to be away from me breaks my heart.
Won't you forgive me, I can't ever let you go.'

I frowned deeply. I tried remembering if there was ever a woman or man dracula was ever involved with, but no one came to mind.
Sure azalea the witch had a huge crush on him, but he never once acknowledged it.
I don't think he has ever even experience what the meaning of love really was, much less be in a relationship with anyone.
With him, duty came first, and duty came last. That's it, no room for romance of any kind.
I was so confused. Dracula couldn't have had a secret relationship right?
And with a man no less. I have always thought that he was homophobic, and he thought that I was gay, which is why he's always disliked me.
This is all so surprising. I expected something related to me, but I never expected to find out that drack had a secret lover.

The sound of footsteps walking down the hall brought me out of my thoughts.

'shit! Dracula was back!! '

I panicked, frantically gathering the scattered papers that had fallen onto the floor and began stacking them under the pillow with the dairy.
I hadn't moved anything else out of it's place so the room was still tidy.
But what about me? I'm definitely out of place. He is going to murder me if he catches me inside his room, with no motive as to why I was in there to begin with.
The door nob was twisting, it was opening, I could almost see my future on the other side.

Wait.. no, this is not how I planned to go out after working so assiduously to come up with the most vengeful plan I could think of to drive my brother out of his mind.
I can't go down like this, it's not an option.

Dracula stands there, a suspicious look on his face. "jack," he says, taking a step inside, closing the door behind him.
Slightly hesitant, I spoke, "dracula, I wasn't expecting you back so early."
I started to stand, but he says, "No, stay there. I wanted to speak with you."
It feels a little like I'm in trouble, but with him, that is always the case.
I'm always doing something that's wrong, I always felt like I'm being scrutinized under this big magnifying glass by him, and constantly being judged.
"I had a short meeting," he says, moving towards the bed. Towards me. My breathing comes faster. "They're new recruits in the training field. They'll be needing me to bend them into shape, so I'm going to be mostly busy from now on."
I watched him carefully, feeling his eyes rake over me like a predator eying it's prey.
He had always looked at me like that, almost like he wanted to pounce on me.
" Is that what you wanted to discuss? " I asked, leaning back on his bed. I wanted to create as much distance between me and this beast. I could never tell what he was thinking, but it was never good.
" Yes. I would also like to know what you were doing in my chambers? "
I shrugged, fiddling with the soft quilt. I had been too invested in that letter that I never heard when he arrived. I must make up something otherwise I'm screwed.
" I came to gather information about you, " I said, looking up at him.
He studied me carefully, arms crossed over his chest. '' information? What for?"
"Well, it is very soon your birthday, so.. I decided to poke around so maybe I'd know your interests. So far I haven't gotten much luck."
All I had to do was sound believable, the slightest hitch could give me away.
I don't want him to figure out that I'm lying.
" My birthday? Whens that, what? In three, months. You've plenty of time to figure that out, besides, it's not that big of a deal anyway, " he dismissed it with a wave of his had. I sighed, rolling my eyes.
" I was just trying to be thoughtful, sorry if I didn't know you hardly care for that stuff. " I got up, ready to just leave but he stopped me, grabbing my elbow and yanking me around to face him.
I nearly stumbled, crashing into his broad chest, face first. I groaned, bringing my hand up to touch my nose.
"Ouch, that hurts."
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so aggressive," he says, bringing his hand to touch my nose.
I avoided it, pushing back so we had decent space between us.
"I'm fine. I'll be leaving now. Bye." I hurried out of his room, before he has any chance of stopping me.