Chapter 2

Kain

Soaking wet, I sat in the restaurant wiping wine out of my eyes. I deserved that. I watched my little brother take Zara home as he comforted her of my stupid mistake.

To be clear. I didn't actually sleep with the girl. I slept in her bed yes but I was so fucked up I fell asleep after having a big realization that I was about to fuck up. In that moment I wasnt trying to hurt Zara? I really wasn't thinking straight. My brain was fixated on one thing.. wasn't even sure it was my brain?

Rosie hands me another napkin.

"Told you it would bite you back in the end. Her face... she looked like you just stabbed her the heart." She says.

"Lets get out of here." Julian says. I watched people look and have their phones out but Kai decided to smack them out their hands on the way out. "Get a life!" He says to them but Julian drags him out.

"Fuck." I say out loud. Zara's face haunts me as I try to light a cigarette.

"I need to follow her."

"Roman is with her. She'll be fine." Julian says. I throw my cigarette away and get into the car. I fucked up major and I needed to fix it.

"You couldn't just keep your hands to yourself." Julian says to me. "You had to fuck the girl."

"I didn't fuck her." I say annoyed. Rosie was irritated by the car seatbelt sound going off so she reached over and does my seatbelt.

"Jesus Christ. You need some sex therapy or something." Rosie says. "Fucking every pretty girl that looks your way."

"I didn't fuck her." I say again. "I wouldn't do that to Zara again."

"But you went home with her?"

"I dont remember much but getting into her bed, realizing its wrong and falling asleep."

"Okay..." Kai says. "I thought you told her and made up. I was surprised to see her today."

"It didn't happen so why tell her." I say sighing. I call Zara a few times but no answer. I call Roman but as I suspected no answer. Ever since I started dating Zara, its been downhill with Roman. He just hated me for hurting Zara. I wondered if he liked her sometimes because she was his friend for years before I met her. If he was secretly in love with her. They were the same age and had a school trip at the same time or something during high school.

"I want to go home." I say as Julian stops me. "Do we have to babysit you Kain."

"No I am fine. Jesus." I say getting out the car annoyed slamming the door shut. I walk into the tall building where the door man let me in and I walk over to the lifts. I call Zara again who answers surprisingly.

"Kain you have to stop." Roman says answering. I wish I could jump through the phone and beat him up.

"Shut the fuck up Roman. Pass the fucking phone."

"Stop calling her she doesn't want to talk." He says hanging up. She was letting him talk for her which pissed me off even more.

If Zara did not want to hear me out I didn't know why I was even trying or bothering. I take a few shots in my kitchen and return to be my miserable self.

The next morning, I wake up early and go to the gym downstairs and do my usual routine. As much as I tried to push away the thought of Zara, I couldn't. I had to make sure she is okay. I know her brother was coming back today.

I drive over to her neighbourhood and park the car sitting in it for a while thinking about how I could fix this. I watch Zara come outside and sit on the steps. She wore a cropped tshirt and black sweats. She had on white airforces and was picking at them. She lights a cigarette and looks out into the distance not seeing me.