xxi.

EVERYONE KNOWS; IT'S quite obvious

EVERYONE KNOWS; IT'S quite obvious. The quiet whispers, the peering eyes, the constant questions being thrown my way by those who deem themselves brave, as to walk in my path and ask the daunting question that seems to be on everyone's minds: 'are you and Knox still friends?'

My answer: nothing. I simply push them away from me with a scowl that shuts them up. It's no one's fucking business what happens to me in my personal life. I already got enough bullshit from my parents back at home for it; I don't need it here.

But yet everyone seems to care, including Brickwood High News. It's currently being broadcasted live in the newsroom, for everyone and their damn mum to see. And I fucking hate it.

Why does everyone care about me, so much? Why does everyone care about Knox, so much? Why does everyone care about life, so much? It's fucking useless.

The door of my locker echoes through the crowded hall, as it hits the door of the locker beside mine, but I couldn't care less. I tug out the books from my bag and empty it into the locker, all except one. 

My hand grazes over the title, Romeo and Juliet. I scoff. I read this book, cover to back. I felt like a zombie while doing it, I don't even think the words were entering my brain. I just did it. 

And now staring at it, my mouth can't help the small smirk that infiltrates my face. Shaking my head, I toss it aside and bring out the books I'll actually need.

 Closing my locker, I'm faced with a grinning Axel, his brown waves hang over his eyes and he does nothing to change that. 

It's clear he notices my displeasure in the current buzz of the school, and he's enjoying every minute of it.

"Have you seen Knox today?" I say, after a few moments of silence between us, as we make our way through the corridor to our first lesson.

"Nope. I don't think he's coming though, he sent me a weird text yesterday, saying something about being busy or some random shit."

At that, I pause. Axel turns back to look at me. "What—haven't you talked to him since Saturday?"

I shook my head, not in the mood to speak. "Oh," he whispers.

"I should apologize, shouldn't I?"

"But you didn't do anything."

"Yeah, I know. But if that's what he wants, then I'll do it. Also, if it gets everyone to stop talking about it, then I'll do anything at this point."

‧˚₊•┈┈┈┈୨୧┈┈┈┈•‧₊˚⊹

Me.

Hey, Angel. Are you free now?

If so, can you meet me in the school 

library for a study session? 

Thanks.

10.30AM

The school hall is quiet as I make my way towards the library. Notebook and novel in hand. The teacher that was supposed to have us, Mr. González, was in a meeting and he wasn't able to get anyone to fill in for him, so he decided to give us work to keep us busy. But fuck that, I have shit to do.

The library door squeaks open as I make my way through the narrow maze of bookshelves. I find a table at the far end and make myself comfortable in my seat.

My mind was slowly drifting in and out of consciousness as sleep takes over, but the sudden giggle of a girl's voice, jolts me awake.

Peeling my eyes open, my heart beats a mile a minute. My eyes turning into slits at the brunette girl sitting beside me. She seems to be holding in a laugh.

"Hi, Dean! Skipping class again? May I join you." It wasn't a question, more of like, 'I'm going to do it whether you like it, or not.' 

"You already know the answer to that question, so why are you still here?" I shut my eyes again.

I'm not going to give Brielle anymore attention that she doesn't already have from that adoring boyfriend of hers, or from anyone, for that matter. I'm just here till Julie comes, then we'll leave and find somewhere else.

"Why are you so mean to me?" she sighs, and I can't hold back the laugh that escapes my throat. 

"If you call ignoring you, 'mean'. Then that's your business, because I don't give a shit."

After a momentary silence, she spoke again. "The school seems to be all over you and Knox today."

I didn't reply, instead I try my hardest to drown out her voice with anything that comes into mind. And that so happens to be all the ranting Juliette has done in the past.

But this one line catches my attention.

" . . .Knox seemed really upset when I spoke to him last. I think you should—"

"You spoke to Knox? When?" But she didn't answer, instead she continues on her sorrowful tirade of how everything was technically Juliette's fault and that she doesn't know why I associate myself with her.

"Did you speak with Knox?" I ask again, but she dodges my question once more, and I'm starting to get irritated.

"What I'm trying to say Dean, is—"

"Nothing! You're trying to say absolute shit. You had no compelling reason to come here, other than to make my life hell on earth. Don't you think you've done enough, Brielle? Please, don't bother me again. And do it while I'm saying this nicely."

She huffs before getting up and walking away, simultaneously murmuring under her breath. At the same time I hear a chime coming from my uniform jacket and I open it to reveal a text message from Juliette.

Julie the angel.

hi, dean. sorry, can't make it.

currently in class. how about during lunch?

10.55AM

Me.  

Sure.

10.56AM

Tossing my phone against the hard wood of the table, I fold my arms on it and lay down my head. Might as well get a few extra minutes of sleep, before I have to return back to class and explain to Axel why I left in the first place.

‧˚₊•┈┈┈┈୨୧┈┈┈┈•‧₊˚⊹