Untitled Part 4

Chapter 4

It was a modest single-story wooden structure, unassuming from the outside and only slightly larger on the inside than a typical dwelling. Inside, there were no beds, only several large wooden cabinets, some locked, and others left open, filled with various items.

Upon entering, Milia found the room empty. No one would come until a new chief was chosen. Scattered across the large wooden table by the window were parchment scrolls and a few arrows being polished. Milia took a seat in Kenny's chair, suppressing the turmoil within her, and began her search in earnest.

With a stoop, Milia discovered a small box under the table. She picked it up and placed it on the table. The box was plain, without locks. Opening it revealed several parchment scrolls inside. Milia picked up the topmost scroll and began to read. It was an agreement.

The agreement concerned the long-disputed river territories. Over the centuries, successive chiefs of the Lawrence and Cheno tribes had laid claim to the fertile river areas with trading docks for their respective tribes. It wasn't until Kenny's father, the previous chief of Lawrence, established permanent outposts and patrol teams in the river areas twenty years ago that territorial ownership was essentially established.

As Milia read through the agreement, her heart skipped a beat. The contents stated that the Lawrence tribe agreed to permanently cede the river territory to the Cheno tribe. The condition? The cancellation of Chief Kenny's personal debt of five hundred gold coins. Kenny's signature and the moonstone ring seal were prominently displayed, while the signature on the Cheno tribe's side remained blank.

Miliah's brow glistened with sweat as she realized the absence of any metal mines within the Lawrence City-State's territory. Five hundred gold ingots held substantial wealth, but what puzzled her more was Kenny's personal debt to the Cheno. What had he used that money for? Intuitively, Miliah sensed there were deeper secrets within the document. She couldn't allow Kenny's honor to be tarnished after his passing. Quickly, she tucked the parchment into the inner pocket of her robe.

Seated, she nibbled nervously at her nails, pondering whom to confide in. Elder Gabriel and Heidi came to mind, but the realization of the dilemma struck her—she didn't know who else was privy to this agreement. Even Kenny, as a leader, couldn't unilaterally decide the fate of the river domain; he must have been aware of that.

As she debated, a gentle knock interrupted her thoughts.

"Who's there?"

"It's me," Elliot's voice came from the other side. Surprised, Miliah opened the door.

Without a word, she observed Elliot's disheveled appearance, clearly exhausted. "Madam Miliah, I thought you'd come. You'd want to sort through Lord Kenny's belongings. There are matters you should know," Elliot hesitated before continuing, clearly steeling himself. Glancing around to ensure privacy, Miliah beckoned Elliot inside and closed the door.

"Elliot, tell me everything. No more secrets. You were closest to Lord Kenny; you know he wouldn't have taken his own life."

"Lord Kenny was in debt, though I'm not sure of the exact amount," Elliot's expression betrayed the burden of this concealed truth.

"Does anyone else know?"

"I believe Elder Gabriel or the High Priest might have some insight." The revelation struck Miliah like lightning. What was really going on?

"What did Lord Kenny do with the money?"

"I'm not sure. I overheard an argument between him and a Cheno messenger at the gate. They were discussing the river domain, a hefty sum of gold, and Elder Gabriel's involvement. The messenger seemed agitated, but I don't think he was threatening Lord Kenny."