Chapter 15

As Millia entered the city, the guards hastened to greet her, "Milady Millia, Captain Liam of the Liaison Squadron awaits your presence." Ethan accompanied her to the barracks to meet Liam. They were escorted by the guards to the council chamber of the barracks, where Liam, adorned in full warrior regalia, was seated upon a sturdy wooden chair, awaiting their arrival. His mane was slightly disheveled, bearing the marks of recent travels. Upon noticing Ethan's presence, his brow furrowed. Millia swiftly explained that Ethan was now her ally, and regarding Joseph's affair, Ethan was a firsthand witness.

Liam's gaze remained skeptical as he surveyed Ethan. Placing trust in Ethan, a former mercenary of the Southern Tribes, with his lineage as a wandering werewolf, was indeed a daunting task. Millia couldn't help but steal a glance at Ethan, facing Liam's provocation and disdain, which could easily ruffle the werewolf's pride. Yet Ethan maintained his composure. Perhaps, as a wanderer, he had long grown accustomed to the scrutiny of those guards.

Liam returned with intelligence from the River Territories. They confirmed that the OLVE New Alliance was currently under the sway of an enigmatic figure known only as White Shark, whose true visage remained shrouded in mystery. "They manipulate the wanderers through the guise of the OLVE New Alliance, enticing them with coin to assail and pillage dissenters, seizing their wealth and lands," Liam spoke with palpable indignation. "Moreover, this organization operates with utmost secrecy, unlike other factions with overt strongholds. We've commenced joint efforts with the constabulary to instill order, but time is of the essence."

Ethan fell silent for a moment before interjecting, "During Joseph's tenure as leader of the OLVE New Alliance, we did not engage in such actions."

Liam scoffed, "Do you reckon that mere coinage can metamorphose ordinary folk into ruthless marauders? As a seasoned warrior, Liam understood that the slaughter of innocents required more than mere brutality; it necessitated a distortion and manipulation of potent spiritual forces."

Once more, Liam turned his gaze towards Millia, his countenance grave. "Milady Millia, regarding Chief Kenny, ah, Kenny's feigned demise and the substitution of his body for Joseph's, there are myriad suspicions that demand our scrutiny. I believe it imperative that we engage him in direct dialogue. Additionally, we rendezvoused with Heidi, the High Priestess of the River Territories. She conveyed her intent to gather further intelligence in the ensuing days before returning posthaste." Millia drew a deep breath. Destiny's design inevitably unfolds; the past, inexorable in its grip, has long dictated fate's course.

On the day the High Priest returned from the divine realm to the Laurence City-State, Millia and Kenny sought audience with him. To evade detection, they clandestinely slipped into the temple under the shroud of night.

Clad in a somber black robe, the High Priest appeared weary, his silver locks thinning, rendering him an even more venerable visage. Millia regarded the aged figure with a pang of sympathy, bowing her head, troubled by the weightier repercussions he might endure.

"The gods have taken note of Kenny's plight, and I offer my very fate as collateral; however, the gods are none too pleased," the High Priest intoned impassively. "I have forfeited the privilege to serve the divine further. Presently, an emissary of the gods shall assume my mantle." Placing a reassuring hand upon Kenny's shoulder, the High Priest continued, "Child, though we have been relegated to commoners, serenity yet beckons. This, perchance, is the most auspicious denouement."

Upon hearing these words, Kenny's face relaxed into a slight smile, while Millia's lips tightened with pain. Suddenly, a knock resounded at the temple doors, and to the surprise of the High Priest, Liam and Ethan strode in together.