Chapter 22

As the canyon camp's lights gradually dimmed, Ethan and two guards rose to their feet. He nodded to Milia, and with utmost agility and silence, the trio descended beneath the canyon. As agreed, they would stealthily approach the campsite, eliminate a few guards discreetly, then inspect the carriages. Once they confirmed the boxes contained standard gold bars from different cities, Ethan would signal, and the main force would descend, seizing control of the camp.

By the campfire in front of the tents, Kenny and Burke sat side by side, savoring wine and jerky. Both wore impassive expressions, lost in contemplation without exchanging words. The crackling flames consumed the wood, emitting a faint warmth in the canyon's chilly night.

"Are you sure about the people you arranged?" Kenny asked in a hushed tone.

Burke glanced at him. "Are you sure about the gold you acquired?"

Kenny was rendered speechless by Burke's retort, silently continuing to eat and drink.

Suddenly, a sharp whistle pierced the night sky, indicating imminent danger. Burke and Kenny leaped up, grabbing their swords and armor. Firelight illuminated the canyon as explosions echoed from a distance, indicating the use of explosives. Unidentified enemies launched attacks from both sides. Milia signaled her team to hold their ground.

A chaotic battle erupted. Dozens of warriors clad in black and masked approached from the west, wielding torches and spears. Horses, agitated by the flames, fled in all directions. From the other end of the canyon, warriors on black horses clad in black cloaks charged forth, with white cloth strips tied around their arms. They wielded longbows, shooting arrows indiscriminately. Kenny, Burke, and the mule guards were thrown into disarray, each fleeing and dodging under the onslaught.

On the battlefield, black-robed warriors on horseback charged and struck each other, unable to discern friend from foe. Shouts and cries of pain resounded, along with arrows flying haphazardly and torches waving. Several tents and wagons were set ablaze, their flames licking the black sky.

In the chaos, Kenny rolled under a carriage, while Burke sought refuge up the hillside. Kenny surreptitiously tied a white cloth band on his black robe sleeve, pulled up his mask, and rolled out from under the carriage. Every move of his was quietly observed by one person. Ethan emerged from behind a tent, deflecting arrows from the darkness, while keeping a close watch on Kenny's fleeing direction, running after him.

Kenny seized a galloping horse, pulling the reins tightly and dislodging the dead soldier on its back. He mounted the horse, bent over, and urged it towards the western valley. Warriors wielding spears charged towards him. Kenny slid to one side, hanging off the horse's back, his arm holding the reins and the horse's neck. He urged the horse forward, breaking through the encirclement of warriors and galloping towards the deeper, darker parts of the canyon.

Ethan forcefully kicked away an approaching figure in a black robe before turning towards a mounted warrior. Seizing the moment, he leaped with exceptional strength, charging at a sword-wielding warrior on horseback and landing a powerful punch to his face. With a loud crack, the warrior cried out in pain, falling from the horse on the opposite side. Ethan steadied himself on the saddle with one hand, quickly turned the horse's head, and galloped towards the western exit of the canyon, disappearing into the darkness.

Meanwhile, Milia, positioned on a hill, used the faint glimmer of the campfire and her elven far-sight ability to observe the unfolding scene clearly. She understood that apprehending Kenny would confirm his involvement in the theft of gold. Acting decisively, Milia signaled her arrest squad to swiftly advance along the ridge, heading west.