Chapter 16

"Madam An, how can this be?" murmured Kenny, his strength seemingly drained in an instant, collapsing before the incontrovertible evidence. Liam and Ethan released their grip on him.

"I shall end her life, I swear it!" Kenny's voice seethed with resentment, escaping through clenched teeth.

The High Priest gestured with a solemn air. "Liam, Millia, Ethan, justice will be served. Tomorrow, I shall convene the other priests and elders to pass judgment."

"And what of now? Shall we confine him?" Liam inquired.

"He shall be detained in the temple's crypt for the time being," declared the High Priest, turning away, unwilling to cast another glance at Kenny, who remained seated with head bowed.

As Millia and Ethan emerged from the temple, dawn had arrived, painting the distant horizon with a soft golden hue, heralding another day of sunshine. Meanwhile, Heidi and Alec had already embarked on the lands of Lawrence, riding two gallant steeds, galloping across the verdant plains toward the forest and castle.

In the courtyard of the olive trees, Millia and Heidi embraced tightly, exchanging their revelations. Ethan and Alec nodded in silent solidarity, standing by their side.

"Upon receiving your missive, I initiated an inquiry. In those bygone years, numerous wandering maidens vanished, oftentimes sold into distant lands as chattel, their whereabouts shrouded in mystery," Heidi turned to Ethan. "Thankfully, your sister was not ensnared in the clutches of slavery. She was deliberately abducted."

Ethan attempted to speak, but words eluded him. For countless years since his sister's disappearance, he had relentlessly pursued the truth. Finally, a semblance of closure seemed within reach.

"It was Thomas. Following his demise, his progeny were exiled from the tribe, and their underlings scattered in search of new allegiances. Due to negligence in governance, unrest erupted within Walca's slave encampment, prompting a mass exodus. Among them, we discovered your sister. We escorted her to the temple, where she recounted being taken from your abode in your absence, only to find herself amidst Walca's tyrannical grasp."

"She has indeed endured much hardship over the years; that fiend Walca subjected these maidens to unspeakable horrors," Heidi's voice quivered, faltering momentarily before she resumed, hastening to comfort Ethan. "Presently, she is under the care of the temple, and I have tasked the priests with conveying her to the remote orphanage of the divine lineage."

Ethan sighed deeply. "At that juncture, I was in the employ of Thomas as a mercenary. For sustenance, he dared to lay hands on my sister, perhaps as a means to coerce me. I am filled with remorse for my sister." Grateful, he looked up at Heidi. "Thank you, for entrusting her to the divine lineage. Their sanctuary is akin to paradise for vagabonds like ourselves. Were it not for your intervention, they would not have sheltered her." He murmured softly, "Now she resides there, assuredly faring better than in my company."

Millia shook her head, her heart heavy with empathy. Recalling her own adolescent years, banished by the elves, she understood Ethan's plight all too well. Gazing earnestly at him, she spoke gently. "Do not despair, Ethan. When my father committed grievous transgressions against the elves, he spirited me away into hiding across distant lands. Ultimately, he chose to end his own life, a somber act of penance to ensure my safety. Yet, at that tender age, scarcely older than your sister is now, I yearned for him to defy his cowardice and endure, to atone for his sins and allow us to remain together."

Ethan observed Millia's eyes, tinged with a flush of emotion. Surprise and gratitude played across his features as he realized Millia's willingness to share her past with him.